Macro for Pentax MZ-30

hans andersson

I agree, a 100 (or 90mm) lens is the way to go. Here are a few words of advise:

DO NOT BUY THE Pentax 100 f4 M macro lens. It will not meter correctly on your MZ-30 camera (too bad it's a good inexpensive lens). You need lenses that have electrical contacts.

The new Pentax/Vivitar/Corsica 100 f3.5 lens is an inexpensive way to get into macro (they are basically all the same lens-I'd recommend the Pentax version here). These lenses only go down to 1:2

The Pentax 100s have 4 lenses: 100 mm f4 A (also 1:2) excellent lens (usually used ~$250-300), the 100 mm f2.8 (1:1) rare and expensive and the 100 mm f2.8 F and FA lenses (narrow focus ring otherwise excellent ($350-550)

Tamron makes an EXCELLENT cheap alternative. The adaptol 90mm f2.5 (make sure you get an 'A' adaptol) is a wonderful 1:1 lens, their newer lenses are even more impressive but more expensive. Sigma likewise has a lens reported to be excellent (105mm f2.8 I think) but I know nothing more about it.

The 200 mm f4 Pentax lens is the stuff of legonds; I agree-it's my most impressive lens. I purchased it new for close to $900 though.

Cheers,

Doug

It seems the Sigma EX 105mm f/2.8 is the best 105 macro on the market. The price is right and it gets the highest rating of the 90-105 macros on the Photodo web site. I have seen pictures from this lens and they are crystal clear. I do almost all macro work and use my 105 macro (not a Sigma, but a manual Kiron) more than any other lens. I will be getting the Sigma soon. I use Nikon equipment and the Sigma is considered a better lens than Nikon's 105mm Micro-Nikkor (for picture taking quality).