MP Hermes

erin.e

It is nice, however, I cannot understand why someone would be willing to pay such a premium for these "collector" Leicas when the only mere difference between them and the production models is the engraving or leather covering.

Should their be mechanical differences that would be a different matter, like a half frame, etc. These cameras never set well with me as it is quite obviously a marketing gimic to make $$.

Then again, people that buy these are usually the nuovo rich, and care little about what the price is. They like it, they buy it.

....and they must be selling them.....

I used to restore old Jaguars automobiles. Buy em as junk and spent all I had to restore them to decent shape. In fact I was quite into it just the same once upon a time when I was a kid (well, in the 90's...a very long time ago.)

At any rate, my cars were collector cars from the 50's and 60's, but they were my daily drivers. Used them everyday (troubles and all) as they were meant to be used..

I always respected those that entered the Mille Miglia and cross country races in their outrageously collectable Bentleys, Astons, etc. Truly nostalgic and awesome stuff to do.

Perhaps there are wealthy individuals who actually USE their collectable Leicas?

Have never seen or heard this to be true however.

Good luck nonetheless.

While it looks great on the computer screen I saw one in person and was a little disappointed in how the leather fit to the body. Almost as it was too thick. Would probably look nice "broken in" like a baseball mitt with dark areas where fingers and palms darkened the leather with sweat.

The only good reason (to my mind) to collect is if it is a camera that once belonged to a famous photographer/was used to take a famous photograph.

Just because Leica make some variant in a special collectors batch does not make an item worth collecting. Imagine it. A guest sees a camera on your shelf and asks about it. You say... "Yes I bought that because xxxx took some historical/great photos with it and I admire his work". That could be interesting if your friends are into photography or have heard of xxxxx or seen xxxxx's photographs.

Scenario 2. A guest sees a camera on your shelf and asks about it. You say... "Yes I bought that camera to celebrate a famous scarf maker buying a controlling shareholding in a german camera maker."

Why?

"I like it because it costs three times as much as the standard model and has the scarfmakers logo on it."

I'll bet it takes great photos.

"No I dare not take the lens cap off or even open the box."

Why?

"Because I am a 40 year old who still lives with his mother and is obsessed with buying everything Leica tells its collectors to buy. I have a wardrobe full of brown slip on plastic shoes and white nylon socks and trousers that are too short. I wear an anorak and despite collecting $10,000 cameras I still have sticking plaster repairs on my glasses and ride the bus becuase I cannot afford a car. If I opened my Leica boxes and used the cameras my world and all of its meaning would come to an end."

Faint noise of friends tiptoeing away before 'collector' man notices.