OT: what to do with only 8 hours in Paris

I will be passing through Paris on my way to Spain... only get 8 hours

on the inbound trip and perhaps a day or two outbound back to

Vienna... i know this isn't a fair question, but if a 'street'

photographer only had 8 hours in Paris, where should i go and what

must I see?

cheers,

Ken

See as much as you can on foot. If you are coming in from Ch. de G. international airport take a bus to Gare de Lyon. Area around there working class, multicultural. Old acquaduct is now cheap chic renovation with cafes, etc. Try to get to the Left Bank and the Latin Quarter. Shakespeare and Co. Bookstore faces Notra Dame cathedral. Cross the "logical Seine" for the sheer pleasure of it on foot. Ponte Neuf has a wonderful tavern call Henry IV. A treat. Do get to Monmartre. The view is great. If you can manage the time, walk to Monmartre starting from Avenue de l'Opera, through St. Honore and the arcades. Walk under THE tower if you have time and take a snapshot of it.

Good luck.

Hi Ken

For a slightly touristy version with a lot of walking so lots of opportunity for street photos:

On the web find where the big Samaritaine department store is - go to the restaurant at the top for a fantastic view across Paris.

Walk from there to the Notre Dame, go to the top, another great view. Walk along the Seine from the Notre Dame to the Eiffel Tower, sit on the grass and have some lunch.

Metro up to the Sacre Coeur. Walk through Montmartre and the African Quarter back to the Gare d'Nord where you can get a train back to the airport.

thanks Steve... I arrive at CDG at around 2PM and leave the next morning from Gare Montparnasse on an 9:15AM train for St. Jean Pied du Port... i figure i have less than 7 hours of sunlight and dont want to be wandering late at night in unfamiliar surrounds...

so, NotreDame, Eiffel, Latin/African quarters... and along the Seine... great...

I agree with the previous answers, but they would sound a bit hectic for my taste :-)

I usually get keepers by waling along the Seine. Very nice IMHO.

An alternative: do not aim at taking pictures, every city allows you to. Spend as much time

as you can in the Musée d'Orsay. Not as well known as Le Louvres, but an unforgettable

experience. The museum is human size, and the collections it harbors are unique and

wonderful. THE treat in Paris for me :)

Have a good trip.

my fav area is the 5th arr around place de la contrescarpe. take the metro to the pantheon/jardin du luxembourg, stroll down rue de mouffetard behind the patheon, take coffee at the place. enjoy the atmosphere, take photos, relax.

if you have extra time, go visit the new Henri Cartier Bresson museum, but who needs to be inside during an afternoon/evening in paris?

You didn't specify when you will be going. Paris is virtually deserted in July and August, when all the Parisians are gone for the extensive French summer vacation, and most people left are tourists. If you go outside the tourist hot spots, you will find a more relaxed, almost village like atmosphere.

A walk along the Seine, past Notre Dame, stopping in at the Musée d'Orsay and a visit to

the Picasso Museo would take up about 5-8 hours and net many excellent picture

opportunities. More than that and you're just rushing around.

Godfrey

Hi Ken,

Some great suggestions already. D'Orsay is a must, also Centre de la Photographie

Europeene which somtimes has some excellent photo shows. I'd add the Centre Pompidou

and/or its rooftop restaurant/cafe which I believe is called Georges for a spectacular view

and feeling. Also you must check out the historic Marais area, Picasso Museum, Petit Fer a

Cheval on Rue Vieille du Temple is wonderful as is Hanna's on the same street I believe for

an incredible falafel plate.

Best,

Babar

Dear Ken

The Maison Europeenne de la Photographie (closed on Monday and Tuesday) currently has an exhibition of Marc Riboud (a Leicaiste). In addition to all above suggestions, I would suggest you take a boat trip along the river Seine. Go to Notre Dame (have alook inside first) and take the Bateau Mouches. It is a great way to discover Paris.

Bonne chasse photographique

go to the riboud exhibit, you lucky bastard. i was just there, but i heard about the exhibit the last day i was able to go --- didn't go, sadly. there was a great exhibit of US-based photographers in the 5th, literally across the street from one of the campuses of the ecole normale superieure, but it's in a private gallery, so no snaps i'm sure.

<br />

take the #2 RER into paris from Charles De Gaulle, get out in chatelet(watch your back), gawk at st.eustache, walk up rue montegruiel(sp?) then head right(south) through the marais -- place des voges at lunch has great people snaps potential. definitely go to the picasso museum about 6 blocks away, and if you're looking to blow some cash, go to the leica store on rue bonmarchais -- actually not called that but it may as well be, they had 50 m-series cameras there! it's right in front of the chemin vert metro stop. <br />

get on the metro going over to the 5th, check out at least one cathedral -- my vote would be for st. germain de pres, oldest one in paris, est. 6th century AD (final resting spot of rene descartes, too.) if you're into modern art, at the musee maillol there's an awesome francis bacon exhibit right now worth doing. <br />

from there walk to the musee d'orsay, about 8 blocks, absolutely the most impressive museum i've been in, anywhere. stunning. <br />

go north to the rodin museum, it's cheap and really wonderful, but take the metro, it's not close; the hotel des invalides is across the boulevard. if it's later than that, i would stay on the left bank and walk to the eiffel tower (can't miss it!) from the tower, cross the seine to the palais chaillot, remarkable vista. plus tons of tourists getting hustled by locals, quite humerous! you can then walk to the arc de triomphe, but it's not so impressive right now, there's work (and scaffolding and tarps) bieng done all over it.<br />

8 hours isn't a lot, but the metro is awesome, you could do a lot in a few hours. for me, the musee d'orsay, the marais generally and

thanks for all of the excellent suggestions... makes me wonder if i should run the camino de santiago so that i can spend more time in Paris... ;P

I think I'm going to keep it simple and wander along the Seine, drop into D'Orsay, hit a rooftop cafe and watch the sunset over paris... anyone know of one with a westerly exposure?

as for equipment, I'm packing light for the long hike... M4-P mit 50/2, ~30 rolls of TriX, a Yashica T4 Super... also considering bringing my Zeiss Super Ikonta B (6x6 folder) for Paris (will have to find someplace/someone to leave it with while I'm in Spain and pick it up on the return journey - if anyone is in Paris let me know...)