Running around, chasing bugs 'n' crap...

johnmyers

I am considering buying a Nikon DSLR mainly for macro usage. I would

use film, but it just seems like such a hit or miss with fast moving

critters. The D70 looks like an incredible camera for this task and

the only reserve I have about this camera is the lack of TTL flash

metering with anything other than the SB-600/SB-800 speedlights. I own

the SB-80DX and I am not forking out any more money on another flash

unit. I suppose my main problem is this: suppose I am frolicking

around in a field chasing butterflies and whatever with my D70 and

SB-80DX; since I want my main light source to be the flash (or so John

Shaw recommends), would having the flash in Auto rather than TTL

really matter all that much?

"Flash sync works to 1/180 of second. Flash metering uses five TTL sensors and can be balanced, slow-synced, and synchronized with the rear shutter curtain. However, if you want to shoot in any TTL mode, you'll need either the SB-28DX (not the older SB-28), SB-50DX, or SB-80DX Speedlight [also the SB-800, though the D100 can't use any of the SB-800's new i-TTL features]. That's because Nikon's TTL modes normally use reflections off the film surface during exposure to determine when to turn off the flash. The D100's CCD is not very reflective (and certainly not the same reflectivity as film stock), thus only flash units designed specifically for the digital bodies (the DX suffix) work in TTL mode. (Some readers have asked why Nikon can't adjust the reflectivity measurements to match what comes off the CCD. I suspect the problem is the way Nikon designed the filter array and CCD frame. Since Fuji allows during exposure TTL measurements on the FinePix S1 and S2 Pro, it isn't impossible; it's only something that Nikon specifically did that caused the change. Pity.)"

Part of a D100 review from www.bythom.com. Perhaps I ought to get that camera instead...but the 1/180 synch. limit....yikes. I don't like the 1/125 limit the N80 has, and 1/180 isn't much faster at all.

John, Get the D70 and an SB-600 (or SB-800 for bit more money) for the price of a D100. May be you can trade in your DX flash. You will be able to use the 600/800 flashes with the future Nikon cameras as well. All older Nikon flashes can be used as manual flashes when required. Vivek.