Depends on the license agreement, I guess. When buying new software, you are not purchasing the software but just a license to use that software. As such, it is totally dependant on the software's license agreement as to whether the license can be transferred. Theoretical, you bought a right, so you "own that right"; therefore you could also sell this right further. BUT: It's possible that some software companies are not allowing to sell the right to use the software to third parties... Further more, license agreements differ by country. Just check the license provided with the program.

To be perfectly clear, <a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrreula.html">Adobe's End User License Agreement</a> specifically addresses your question:<p>"<i>4.4 Transfer. You may not, rent, lease, sublicense, assign or transfer your rights in the Software, or authorize all or any portion of the Software to be copied onto another user's computer except as may be expressly permitted herein. <b>You may, however, transfer all your rights to Use the Software to another person or legal entity provided that: (a) you also transfer (i) this Agreement, and (ii) the Software and all other software or hardware bundled or pre-installed with the Software, including all copies, Updates and prior versions, to such person or entity; (b) you retain no copies, including backups and copies stored on a computer; and © the receiving party accepts the terms and conditions of this Agreement and any other terms and conditions upon which you legally purchased a license to the Software.</b> Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may not transfer education, pre-release, or not for resale copies of the Software."</i>