Stolen Camera, wondering what to buy (Canon S500)

I had my Canon S400 stolen out of my car over the holiday. Now I am trying to figure out

whether or not to buy another one or get something new. Here is what I have to consider.

I still have my extra battery, charger, and underwater housing for the S400. As I

understand all of these work for the S500 as well.

The flip side is that I heard the S500 isn't that great of a camera. Especially with the 1.5

screen.

Just asking a "if you were in my shoes" question.

-Pete

<a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_s400%2Ccanon_s410%2Ccanon_s500&show=all">Here's the Side-By-Side guide from dpreview.com</a>

<p>

I don't see a whole lot that's different. The S500 has a 30 second 640x480 movie mode and is slightly lighter but it should also have more noise from a more densely packed sensor. And of course it might be tough to find a S400 as it is discontinued.

Let me rephrase the question.... are the extra battery, housing, and charger, worth sticking

with a product that a lot of reviews tend to find out paced by newer 5MP cameras.

If you look at the S500, they really did little to improve the camera other than just up the

MP to 5.0. I guess short of making the decision for me :) I want to find out if people are

really happy with the S500, and the supposed "poor" quality of photos that I have seen in

some reviews. (Although I think the word "poor" may be a comparison to other 5MP

cameras)