Rolleiflex shutter problem

michael_franc

I have just bought a Rollei TLR w/ 3.5 Tessar. I can't get the knob that

controls shutter speed past 25th of a second. (i can get all the faster

speeds). Is this something cleaning (and do I want to undertake that

myself) of the shutter would fix?

Also, there is a strange strobe attachment mounted to the front of the

camera with the initials HR that I have never seen on a Rolei before. It

is mounted by two small bolts. Is this stock? common aftermarket?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried to post this earlier--if it comes out twice I greatly appologize.

Michael Franc

'forget about it' is right, except if you have the chromed flash unit that goes with it. You can sell these at exhorbitant prices to Darth Vader enthusiasts. No I'm not kidding. By the way if you want to see a lot of HR solenoids, go to www.graflex.org, since they were pretty standard on Graflex shutters. Or the shutters on Graflexes, to be pedantic.

Michael, if the glass is unmarred with no fungus or scratches, this is a *excellent* available light camera. I have two of them, and since I can't attach my flash equipment I don't use them on jobs, but for artsy stuff or casual shooting it is splendid. I suggest sending it in to a qualified tech and get it repaired. If you email me privately, I'd be happy to send along info on the people I've used. This is a wonderful, "old world" camera that can produce stunning photography if your willing to put the time into it. Really, these are little jewels that deserve to be saved, restored and used.

As a previous post mentioned, if your camera is the Rolleiflex T, it controls the shutter and the f-stop with the same command, fixing Exposures Values (EV). So, to change the EV, and, then, having access to all the shutter speeds and all the f-stops, you must move the control to the outside of the camera. Then, having it out, you can have access to all the speeds, until you fix another EV when you leave it and let it return to its original position.

Hope it helps.

It doesn't have the EVC. the camera is serial # 804270 so it is pre-war. I spoke to Mr. Yerkes today (he is fantastic) and maybe i'll bring the camera to him. The price of overhall sounds very reasonable. I appreciate all the input too. BTW I didn't care about flash, I wanted it for artcy stuff. I like Tessar.

Michael Franc