Hi,

I currently have an old Minolta MD system. It is a great system and

has served me well but I'm thinking about switching to digital. Most

of my photos are scenics or closeups and I've never seen any

advantage to AF for those photos. So my question those of you with

Canon EOS macro lenses and the 20D, how easy is it to focus manually

and be precise? Can you do so by eye or do you need the assistance of

the AF system?

Hi John, I'd make two points: 1) With the EOS system you can "have your cake and eat it too" with regards to autofocus because even though you have AF turned on and active, you can still fine-tune things manually. In other words, you don't necessarily have to switch between the two. 2) Most DSLRs that are not full-frame have a much dimmer viewfinder than film SLRs and the 20D is no exception. I'd suggest trying one out in a camera store to make sure you can live with it. The 1Ds MKII (at around 8 grand) has a full-frame sensor and an excellent view through the viewfinder, but it's a bit steep, cost-wise! Good luck!

John,

I also have a background in Minolta manual focus cameras and I have done a resonable amount of macro work. I have have the Minolta MD 100mm 1:4 and use it on a Minolta X-700.

I recently purchased a 20D and EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens.

When using the 20D for macro work, you will need to manually focus. The manual focus on the Canon 100mm macro is a joy to use and can be used for accurate manual focus. This lens has full-time manual focusing, which allows you to auto-focus and then make manual adjustments, without switching to manual focus.

The one thing that I miss is the split prism/micro prism focusing aids of the X-700. Although, the matte focusing screen of the 20D is quite good.

So the short answer is, yes you can focus manually and be precise using the 20D

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Have you considered the Minolta 7D John, would your current lense's work with that camera? It has had excellent reviews and apparently has a good viewfinder also a built in IS system that will work with any exsisting lens that will fit the camera.

Erin,

As I understand it, Minolta changed the distance from the mount to the film plane when they changed from the manual focus mount (SR) to the auto-focus mount (A-Type). Minolta made a 2x tele-converter that allowed you to mount an SR mount manual focus lens on a A-Type auto-focus body. There are also some third party adapters, but they all (as far as I know) have some optics in them to allow you to focus at infinity, and I have heard that the quality of the optics are questionable.

Andrew

Thanks for all the replies.

Beau, I'll go to the store and try it.

Andrew, thanks for your first-hand feedback, very encouraging.

Erin, nice idea. I wish Minolta had kept the mount. As Andrew mentioned there is a teleconverter forced upon you with the adaptor and I'm not willing to do that. I will check into the 7D as well.

Well, precise manual focus with 20D is quite a challenge. You can do so-so focus fast, but getting the same level of precision you have with film SLR with large bright viewfinder with microprism is not so easy, especially with low light. I miss my Contax 167MT very much when I look through 20D viewfinder. Words "tunnel vision" got whole new meaning to me...