The pro view on the Leica M...

abufletcher

Just thought you all might find it interesting to know where the recent Calumet

catalog, which focuses on gear of interest to the pros, places it's ad for the M7:

Right next to the ad for the Holga!

And pinhole cameras. And the Hasselbald Xpan II and Contax G2. The

message? Leica's are clearly just for fun!

I always considered Leicas to be toys but on the other hand, Holgas are showing up in interesting places. There was David Burnett on the campaign trail in 2000 and in the end of the year issue of Newsweek there were photos by a photographer whose name I can't remember who used a holga in Afganistan.

If they aren't in New York and want to touch it before they buy it?

Also, my film buying is sporadic enough that the minimum shipping fee from B&H would eat any savings. (Still, I'm no pro.)

I'm sure that the Calumet stores (which they are still adding) do a brisk business in selling ice cold film "right now".

Very, very, few pro's who earn a living from photography on a day to day basis use leica as their main camera system. When you have to get the shot - AF, Long zooms, digital capture auto exp etc count for far more than anything leica M has to offer. That is not in any way deriding the qualities of leica - it's just that they are pretty well irrelevent for anyone who needs a camera to make money with. Leica's for show - SLR for a pro!

More likely the items grouped together are those which don't have print promotion budgets from either the manufacturer or distributor for vendor catalogs. And/or, the vendor has a low volume/low margin on these items.

Without a print budget or cash-flow/margin behind thier product, the manufacturers can't request/dictate preferred placement in the catalog. They're lumped together in the space that's left.

I haven't heard anything about Calumet going under??? I use them all the time as I'm in middle Illiois and I can call up and get my shipment the next day via ground shipping. Yeah, I've got to pay sales tax....but it's quicker than B&H. I just ordered a light meter (as well as film) from Calumet and the price of the meter was $15 cheaper than stated in their (by-monthly?) catalog.

Can anyone elaborate on this new rumor that Calumet is going under???

Tose aren't ads they are lisings in a catalog & the only "message" in the layout is that the

leica M cameras aren't in the mainstream of cameras being purchased today by most

photographers, including pros. Neither is the HAsselblad X-pan, or the Contax g2, pinhole

cameras or the Holga. Logically they don't deserve upfront space.

Calumet isn't going under and this isn't even a rumor; It is sniping by some curdled fool

who doesn't

know any better.

Don't know if there's still a connection but UK Calumet are reporting huge increases in rentals (pros are getting hacked off with airport security) and major investment in new gear. I don't have a copy of the magazine I read this in but Trevor Hare probably does - when he wakes up. Johnny. PS could all be a smokescreen for the benefit of the financiers.

I am not sure how Calumet is fairing nationally, but I think they are not doing all that well

in Santa Barbara...Samy's Camera just opened up a gigantic (and really nice) store 3 blocks

away, and I

think they are earning a lot of business. They have a much better selection, and on most

things the prices are the same. With respect to Leica, you can order them from Calumet,

but they don't have them in the store (in SB). Samy's has them, and I think they are going

to make a store-in-store type thing. But pro's and photo students do use them instead of

B&H for

many things, particularly expendible things -- film, paper, chemistry, matting board

etc...It does not necessarily make sense to order something from B&H or Adorama every

time you need something...especially if you are in the West Coast and it will take a week or

more to get to you and those stores don't do anything from 12PM Pacific on Friday until

Monday. Many local pros and photo students just go to Samy's or Calumet because they

can get good advice, people who are familiar with their program's requirements (many of

the salespeople are current or recent Brooks students),

and because they give student discounts that often negate the difference in price. The

added bonus is that you can develop a relationship with the people there and go to them if

you have any problems. Anyway, this is getting off topic, but I would be interested to hear

more about how Calumet is doing...I like them, but they seem to be a bit under the gun.

sounds reasonable to me. after reading this forum for a couple of years my conclusion is that the post m3 leicas are like "trophy wives." once a certain income level is hit, it is automatic that the bmw or mercedes is bought and then comes the leica. so, what else is new? putting them in with pinhole cams and holgas is just part of niche marketing and modern leicas are definitely niche. personally, i hate the look of them (proud owner of a IIIf.)