new 50 ASPH lux chrome version?

gee-bug

I handled the new 50 lux this weekend at a Leica day in Denver and I

think I'm in love.

Has anybody heard if it is going to be available in chrome? I

looked at the info on the Leica site and it didn't mention a chrome

version.

As sure as the sun sets in the west, there will eventually be both a chrome and a black-laquer version of the 50 Lux-ASPH. It's only a matter of time. Any lens Leica touts as a universal standard lens will unquestionably be made available in every flavor at some time in the future. Your problem will only be restraining yourself long enough.

While I must admit that the chrome lenses are very attractive, I can't understand why someone would want to lug around all that extra weight when it serves no functional purpose. They are no more durable than the black anodized aluminum lenses. If they were simply more expensive, that wouldn't bother me. But since they're more expensive and heavier, they leave me cold.

My old screw mount lenses are of course all chrome and rather heavy, for their maximum apertures. But they all have rather small maximum apertures, and I tend to go out with just one or two of them at a time, so it doesn't add up to much. And they are very inexpensive by comparison.

I'm sure Lleica has done their homework WRT materials of construction, like engine builders regarding different materials. I would not suspect the different materials' expansion differences (damn I can no longer spell) being significant. ALL the laenses have brass helicals not withstanding the barrel construction.

"They are no more durable than the black anodized aluminum lenses."

That simply isn't true. The chrome finish lenses are definitely more durable, made mostly of brass, which is why they're heavier. The chrome lenses in my bag, with all the use they get, still look like new while the black ones need to be treated with kit gloves. The black finish wears down to the silver colored zinc alloy and the look like hell (just like worn black chrome M and R bodies).

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

That's merely cosmetic. It has no effect on the function of the lens. For the user, rather than the collector, the black lenses are just as durable. If you want to look at your lenses, by all means, buy chrome. If you want to use them, and if weight matters to you, buy black.

• 2 years later...