something new. you are the editor!

bds1

Gotta go against the grain here: I really like the first one. It gives me a lot: drama, tension, identity and activity of the speaker, a symbolic stance of power and the hand dramatically reaching out.

The second is beautiful and quite strong too, but I simply got a more emotional reaction to the first one.

Are you keeping score, Brian?

2nd one - two reasons:

1. The eyes are wrong somehow in the first one, which somewhat spoils the effect.

2. The hand reaching into the picture is better lit and better posed in the second.

Well, ok, maybe three reasons:

3. The omission of the eyes in #2 makes the viewer think and supply an interpretation, which engages at least this viewer more than with #1 (where there's something wrong with the eyes anyway...)

Thanks all! I was interested to see if they could work together, which now I think they

can. Going to shoot the next lot at a 15th and get some blur and see how that will

work.

This editing thread seems to work well! we should do more

So many responses indicates the quality of both pics. I agree with Alex, whose intelligent analysis is the sort of comment I wish I saw more of on PN, but personally I go for 2 (and thereby flatter myself as being among Alex's category of more discerning viewers).