Anyone jog/run with M6?

bret_williams

With the condition I've been in lately, I'm lucky to be able to walk with my

camera!

The late Galen Rowell was an advocate of (early morning) mountain jogging

with a camera. He hung the camera on his neck and then had a neoprene

chest strap (basically a piece of neoprene with a hole where the lens would

be) that he could slip over the lens to keep it from flopping. He preferred this

to a fanny pack as the camera was always readily at hand.

Personally, I'd consider an SLR to be better suited to the task but to each his

own.

Bret,

I use to take my M6 on fairly long runs (6-8 miles x 3/week) but decided not to do

that anymore. Why? Because I run in the city and have had numerous run-ins with

drivers that would rather talk on their cell phones than "drive and watch the road!"

Consequently, I stopped carrying my M6 in favor of a Bessa. I decided it's much less

painful to drop a Bessa than the M6.

IMHO, the best way to carry the camera is in your hand with the strap wrapped

around your wrist. At first, it's a challenge but as you do it more and more often you'll

find yourself quickly getting use to carrying that extra weight. Of course, you can

switch carrying hands.

Having the camera hanging around your neck while running means you're going to

have to hold on to it or strap it down anyway. Otherwise, the running motion is going

to cause that camera to flip and flop all over the place. Not a pleasant thought!

The majority of times when I'm shooting with it... I use hyperfocal distance focusing

with a 35 mm. I plan on trying the same thing with my new 21 mm V/C lens.

In your situation... since you're not doing street photography it would be easy enough

to carry the camera and any additional lenses in a fanny pack. The major drawback is

that you'd have to stop and pull the camera out before you're able to shoot with it,

which isn't a problem in your case. In mine... it was just too impractical. So, now I

carry one lens and a couple of rolls of film in a waist pack.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Have you tried a little tighter strap, then around the neck, over one shoulder and on your

back. Seems to me this should work. I say "seems" because I haven't tried it myself. The

only

serious exercise I do is fast walk on a tread mill at home in a disused room and, frankly,

there isn't much to photograph there besides the vacuum cleaner and the house across

through the window, so I never take my M along. Only my DVD player.

I agree with Chris. Running with a camera sounds particularly clumsy and annoying. And given all of the reliability problems people here report with M cameras, it would probably end up broken -- either when you dropped it, or you slipped, or just from all of the bouncing around.

Bret

I've run numerous times with my M6, using a fannie pack (there are numerous types) and wrapping the camera in a large washcloth and often a plastic bag (I live in washington state). I've found it to be no problem and have gotton shots of subjects, including my running buddies that were appreciated!!

Gary

I used to have a harness that was designed for just such a purpose. I believe it was called the "Gypsy Sling" or something similar. Used with a camera or binocular, it held your precious cargo close to the body and restrained it from flopping. I presently use a nice, compact, well padded, ballistic nylon bag made by "M Rock". It has a harness arrangement that allows many options. it can be worn close to the chest, on the back, on the hip or over the shoulder. It's less than $30 well built and does the job. Just the same, I don't think all that jouncing can do a camera much good over the long run! Best wishes, Bill