which I believe is held in place by the filter ring which screws onto

the barrel's male thread (51mm according to my measurement with

Vernier calipers). Or does the filter ring require the hood to secure

it in place (as in the 28mm f2.8 R first version)? I'm actually not

too bothered about the hood, the most important thing would be to

have a filter in place to protect the front element. I would be

grateful for any information on this.

Eduardo Pacheco

As furnished from the factory, the hood is held in place with a ring that has series VII on the outside end. There is then a series VII or 54mm filter retaining ring which holds series VII filters in place.

If you are missing the inside ring that holds the hood in place, the only option is to have one made or get one from Leica,not a likely option.

I think you are missing the problem. The hood is held on the lens by a ring that is NOT ment to be removed and will NOT hold a filter. It extends with 54mm or series VII female threads. Evidently this ring is missing along with the hood. Without this ring the hood would pull off when extended.

the 14161 series seven filter ring screws into the missing part and will hold a series VII filter in its recess. No threads are provided at the outer end of the 14161. Generic adapter rings were made years ago that had female threads at the outer end so more stacking was possible.

If you need further clarification, please advise. Third try is the charm.

Thanks a lot for your advice. It looks like I just may have to live with the limitations of this lens. That's probably why it was so cheap, only 100 pounds. Leica UK said they might be able to obtain a retaining ring from Germany, I'm not sure if they meant the hood ring or the filter ring. The lens is older than I thought, serial #2171482 is supposed to be from about 1966. It's amazing it's still in such good condition, apart from the missing hood.