travel destinations survey

mark_perry1

Those countries or regions I found most photogenic were Turkey, Thailand, France, England, Switzerland, and the North American west coast - why not a trip to the Canadian Rockies which offer endless nature gems begging to be photographed !

You and most everyone else are painting a wide brush: Russia, China (I've worked in both. the Russians are quite shy), etc. It depends what you are interested in photographing and the "limits" of the gear you intend to carry, which you don't mention.

To be cynical, try your back yard.

To be realistic from my experience, where I like ruins (particularly Roman), people and festivals (usually fueled be religeous devotion and/or alcohol).

Ankgor is full of opportunity, but quickly becoming commercialized now more than 10 years ago when I last visited.

Spain and Italy (check the annual scheduals) festivals. I was fortunate to work in both countries, and my fiance is Spanish and my tour guide in my semi-annual trips to Spain and the region.

China and Russia countryside (I spent about a year working in each) for daily life including the markets (street photography), or any non-western, previously closed societies now also changing quickly. My best experience was mid-winter in Daqing biking accoss a frozen lake next to a farmer village. They offered me sugar cane from below a dirt floor. How could one not accept?

Unless you are are a trekker, it may be difficult to get access. I worked these places, so I had limited access.

I have never been to India, but am looking forward to an assignment there.

Again, thanks to all who've responded.

Stephen, I understand what you mean about the broad scope of my question. To be more precise, I'm looking for places that are full of photographic potential that haven't been photographed to death already and that would also offer a great deal of cultural and/or historic value to the trip. Thanks for your input.

I don't think I'd do wrong with any of the suggestions I've see here. Except for New Jersey of course and I'll take that one as a joke. ;-)

Mark,

I always photograph a lot upon arrival in a new place, call it insipiration. I attribute that to excess excitment being in a new place; like a vacation for most people. It wears off, of course. That's when I get my best photos. I'm in my back yard. I guess I'm lucky in that regard. I rent apartments/houses (paid by the company, of course), shop the local markets, I'm part of the community and blend in, not in a hotel. Where ever you go, spend time in a place and get to know it and her people, however possible.

I think best bet would be india, not just because I am from that place. It's all in one package. Deserts, Snowy mountains, rugged mountains,historical places, wildlife and on top of all, the people. And if you are there, do not miss Sikim.

I'll take the following..

Nepal( where I've been and would love to go back), southern Thailand, Ecuador, Peru,

Chile( especially around Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego), New Zealand..

Hell, I think there is something worthwhile almost everywhere.