What can you tell me about an EF 35-105 4.5/5.6?

mcgarity

I just picked up an EF 35-105 f4.5/5.6 at a garage sale for the sum

$10 in US currency. It may not be worth much but I thought it would

probably be worth at least that. The lens functions properly and the

glass appears to be in great shape.

I didn't know Canon ever made such a lens. I can't locate much

information about it on line. I suspect its been out of production

for a long time.

Does anyone know have any info on this lens? All I know is that it

focuses to 0.85 meters or 2.8 feet. The build quality is about on a

par with the EF-S 18-55mm and its slightly larger. I doubt that its

optics are of the greatest quality but I am curious to know if they

are of the worst. I haven't had a chance use it exhaustively yet. The

pics I have taken with it so far didn't look too bad but they would

never win any prizes either.

Thanks

Larry

It was introduced in 1991, in all probability as a kit lens. $10 is about a third of what I would expect to see on EBay for that model.

An optically identical USM version replaced the original in 1992.

DI

If, as I suspect, this is the plastic mount 35-105 then congratulations -- you have got a copy of the worst Canon lens I've ever had the honor of owning!<P>In 96 I bought my first EOS a used 10S. It came with that lens. It was (and I've never imagined describing a lens this way) soft as a feather -- or at least seemed that way as I'd been shooting with FD primes on T90's to that point. The only thing that stopped me from pitching the 10S was the 50 f1.8 MkI that I'd also gotten -- wonderful lens.<P>But back to the 35-105 I've used a couple other not so hot (read crappy) EOS lenses since the 35-105. So looking back in perspective I guess it wasn't all that bad -- actually in your $10 case pretty damn good as it makes a great beach lens (if it gets wet or sandy it's a lot easier to chuck it then a $300 zoom) or if you were really crafty you could sell it and use the profit for down payment on a used 50mm f1.8!<P>Whatever happens though Larry bottom line is:Who cares what the hell others say -- go out shoot and enjoy it

Yes,i agree with most comments so far.

<BR>There was a time about a year or two ago when these old lenses had a reasonable status on ebay,especially the earlier metal mount 'macro' version.

Just speaking about the macro version-they were not particularly good optically ,had very slow ,noisy focus,the worst manual focus feel ever ,pretty bad build strength (yes even the metal mount one),push pull zoom action and no great wide angle ability.People were paying almost as much for them as the vastly-better-in-every-way 28-105/3.5-4.5.It was so hilarious

<BR>Unfortunately none of those old versions bring good prices anymore so,while you could make a quick profit by reselling it,you won't make much