The ultimate 4x5 wood field camera?

gone nomad

I use the SV45Ti full time and love it. My only 'complaint' is that when racked out, it is NOT the solid that Ebony and everyone else makes out. A simple thwack on any part will induce vibration. Of course, I don't do this while exposing, but if you plan on shooting regularly in high winds, I think you'd be much better off with a metal camera.

I tried the Pocket Expedition today. It is long enough for my 450mm lens; however, I had a really difficult time with the rear knobs. My fingers are much to large to grab the locking knobs for the top focus. Furthermore, the one I was looking at (used) had a problem with the rear track. It was so loose that you could lift the rear standards up and down at least a half inch. I am going to stop by Badger Graphic early next week and look at an Ebony SV45TE. The TI is what appeals to me the most. However, the TE will give me an idea if the camera will work for me.

Dr. Phil,

Sorry I couldn't answer your question immediately, I logged off after my first response.

The PE can be focused with normal bellows with a 65mm lens. This is an old Angulon so a newer 65mm may have a slightly longer flang focus distance. The front standard must be tilted back, but the geared rise and fall allows plenty of movement. The geared tilt is not usable in this position.

The TF requires a bag bellows and some bed drop. The PE has the top rear focus and when moved forward removes the bed from the image. The experience you had with the PE today sounds like an abused demo or a defect unless something was not tightened down. The PE can seem a bit intimidating to someone who hasn't used it much, but I can set the camera up almost as quickly as the TF. It requires the correct technigue. The PE I have is tight as a drum in the rear and the springs are very stiff so I know the film holders are snug.

I used mine again today and just love it. I use it professionally as well as for my fine art work and feel very confident with it. Let us all know your experience with the Ebony. Good hunting and photo on.

Gary

Had a chance to look at an ebony and I must say that I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Maybe it was all the hype that I've heard about ebony cameras. Fit and finish wise it was no better or worse than any wisner I've seen. Well, with the exception of the pocket expedition that I looked at with a wiggly back. There were several things that I really liked about the wisner. To start, the geared rear tilt is very logically thought out. Right hand focus, left hand tilt. Very quick and simple.

I'm still looking.

Phil, I recently purchased a SVTE in the classifieds section and love it. I'm

currently only using a 110XL but I am also contemplating some sort of a

telephoto assortment. Maybe when I have the bellows extended I may

experience some of the"wobble" others have but for a wood camera this thing

is built. I can only compare the Ebony to the ratty Cambo and Calumet rail

cameras we used in my LF class, but the camera has been trouble free, even

for a rookie like myself. The three focusing knob configuration has taken some

getting used to, thats really about it.

Good Luck