Canon 50 f1.4 focus is sticking, won't focus close

aaron_lam

Hey,

My 50 f1.4 USM is now refusing to focus down to .45m. It stops around .6. I can't

even get it to go down in manual focus mode.

Has anyone had this problem with this lens or another USM lens? I am assuming it has

to go in for repair but wanted to check to see if anyone new of a home fix or approx

how much it would be to fix.

Thanks!

aaron

I might have made a mistake here... can someone tell me:

The focus meter does not indicate down to .45m but I physically measured the

distance and it seems about right. Does anyone know if this is the case? Is the meter

just poorly marked?

Thanks!

Aaron:

My 50/1.4 is having the same problem, although it stops focusing at the 1.5m mark. I have heard that the problem is related to the micro-USM mechanism used in the 50/1.4.

One shop that I know that fixes it is Horizon Electronic in Union City, California. I've been meaning to send mine in, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

-adam

Mine exhibited precisely this, after it suddenly landed on the floor. Could not move it past 0.6 although the usm seemed to work, sort of. The usm had to be replaced and all was fine afterwards. Costs were around 100 usd.

When you look at the repair manual you can see two "pins" that guide the intermediate barrel as it moves in the cam barrel.<P>I bet the pins have jammed, bent, broke -- just screwed up as the lens not focus properly -- manually or via autofocus -- if the intermediate barrel can not travel smoothly throughout the full length of the cam barrels groves.