"Abbie Hoffman," by Al Kaplan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al, I really enjoy having you on the forum and I'm looking forward to seeing many more of your photos. Any of us who post photos here should expect criticism of whatever opinion. Personally I think this is a pretty nice portrait, although the background isn't ideal. The crop certainly looks better to me. Of course it's of historical interest, and the fact that you did it 'on the job' is to be respected.

<p>

<i>[edited by moderator]</i>

Al, this is a great shot of Abbie.

I never got that far to steal his "steal this book" but I hand copied it when I was a poor student who just landed in this country some 16 years ago and was going around chasing the rainbow gatherings - should that count for some credit?

I think your original print is still the best. The background looks fine to me. Just post more please.

<<but seems to be 'more' simply bc its a 'celeb'....chill out...>>

of course it is "more" because it's abbie hoffman. just like the joplin photo. you think if janis was only a neighbor of al's from the 60's that he would be selling prints? what you fail to see in your holier-than-thou approach to every post is that it isn't always only "about the picture". hoffman is an historical figure, and the fact that al has photos of him, even if they don't meet with the Almighty Grant's critical approval (when do any, except your own, grant) make these of interest. grant, you are the one that needs to chill out.

Nice shot Al... as is.

To bad people have to inflict their god almighty opinion on a documentary shot by

comparing it to a contrived studio portrait ... that arguably wouldn't get a second look if

not of a historical person, compounded by the fact it was shot by a famous photographer.

Then there are others who even compulsively alter a documentary shot to fit their personal

POV, and in the process eradicate the context chosen by the person who actually shot the

photo.

Marc - Is everyone supposed to like it because it's by someone here? Is everyone's idea of a good portrait of someone supposed to be the same? In this case, I think the black blob of a shadow is terrible, destroying what would otherwise be a good portrait. We would never accept this of Avedon, should we just say it's great because it's done by someone here?

Jeff, should we say it's bad because someone else took a photo that a person HERE says is

better? There's always someone better. But I doubt people like to constantly hear that no

matter what you show here, someone else did it better. It's just human nature.

IMO, there are a thousand photographers better than you and Grant combined. I like both

of your works. But I could say it's been done before, and a lot better to every photo you or

Grant have ever posted here... and mean every word of it. And you certainly could do that

to anything I've ever shot and then some.

In the end we just disagree on how to enjoy the works of others.. or just let it go.

I agree with what Quiche said re: 'intellectual component' to the Yippie movement.Grant

,if you weren't there,you don't know.The mainstream media gatekeepers are notorious for

obfuscation and revisionism of the historical facts.Outstanding photo,Mr.Al,thanks for

posting it.

Doug Ford or anybody else wanting to purchase a print, yes I do sell them. I've been printing on double weight 11x14 Ilford Multigrade with wide white borders, the image being 8"x12" or 9"x12" if I do a slight crop. A signed print including shipping in the U.S. is $200.

Contact me at preacherpop42 (at) aol (dot) com. Thanks!

We've all posted work that's less than perfect. Some people said they like this and some don't, what's the big deal? If no criticism is allowed let's refrain from high praise then too. Hell, Al's been around long enough, he should take it all in stride. Looks like he is....$200!