Domke bags- quality of current production?

Funny you should ask, because the loop that holds the strap on my Domke F-5XB that I've only had for three months just broke today, shortly after I read your post. I would probably contribute it to a freak manufacturing defect... I don't know if it has anything to do with the new distributor or a cutback in quality. I certainly hope not.

I've used Domke bags for years and years and have never had a problem in quality or manufacturing. To their credit, Domke immediately faxed me a return authorization and are exchanging my damaged bag for a new one (two year warranty, yay!).

since this is a domke thread. I was wondering if anyone has the F-2 and carries large diameter lenses in it. I need something that I can carry 2-3 4 inch diameter lenses in (with hoods on) plus a few primes + flash, filters, hoods, light meter, etc...

I haven't seen a domke f-2 in person yet and the website isn't very specific.

I have an F-2 and an F-3X. The F-2 is about 15 years old and the F-3X is about a year & a half old. Both bags are made of the same weight canvas.

I was in a camera store a couple of weeks ago and picked a Domke bag off the shelf there to find out what model it was. It was an F-2 and while the design was identical to mine, the canvas was a much lighter weight. I would say that the newer bag is still a fine and durable product for an amateur photographer, but almost certainly wouldn't last as long as the old one if used by a pro. To be honest, I thought it was a bit on the flimsy side... Didn't notice anything untoward with respect to stitching or the excellent (and identical) shoulder strap, just the lightweight canvas.

I have a 2-3" zoom plus other lenses in mine, there are several compartment inserts that you can use to configure the inside of the bag, probably including one that will allow you to have the lens on the camera. Mine holds an 80-200 zoom on a Nikon F3+MD4 motor drive.

domke went not bankrupt - the company that bought him out, did. i currently use a 20 year old domke f2, which i bought new then and a few safrotto bags, which look and feel identical to the original domkes. i think, they made the old domke bags for him. they have nearly all of the old bags (the ones domke developed before the change to ballistic nylon), and price new is about half of that what the current domkes cost. there is an US-guy selling safrottos on the auction site

• 7 months later...