Why Monopolies are Evil

rayliguori

Thanks to Joe Wisniewski for "Get both TC14E and 20E, file off the little metal tabs (you have done this already, haven't you) so you can stack them." Actually I had not thought of this. I went back to an old thread and found out how from one of Joe's old comments which I reprint here so the rest of you do not need to look it up:

"The TC-14E (or E II) needs to be modified before you can stack it with a TC-20E. You must file off the little metal tooth that prevents you from attaching the TC-14E to anything other than an AF-S or AF-I lens. Here's some detailed instructions. http://nikonpages.heymanphotography.com/tcmod/"

I will give it a try. Should save room in the backpack too.

I had to replace the little metal plug from the bottom of my EOS 1n a few months ago. The one that you remove to attach a motor drive.

I got two quotes from local dealers. One was $6.99. The other wanted $29.95. So it's not always the manufacturer.

"The BF-1A is almost the same thing as the BF-3A"

BF3A can be used as BF1A,but not vise versa.

It's not only in the US market but also globely that Nikon accesseries are expensive.May be there are two reasons:

1) Monopoly, as above mentioned.

2) Production cost and the fee here after.

a) We know there's fixed cost such as mold,design etc. which must be apportioned to the product.The market demand is very few so this part of cost become high.

b) Such piece of product has to be airmailed, hendled and stored.It's also expensive.

Hence the price.

Generic lens and body caps are readily available for Nikon camers for less than $10. Sure, they tend to work loose easier, and definitely lack the "Nikon" logo. Maybe the front cap "ears" tend to protude and snag in the bag. Hey! You pay your money and make your choice. Some people even pay a premium for team jackets.