Canon 300D and cold temps

loraine

I took my 300d out when it was 25 degrees out. After shooting for

about 15 minutes the camera shut off and would not power back on. I

started out with a fully charged battery.

When I came inside the camera worked again. I emailed Canon who told

me the camera could be damaged when used in temps under 32.

I have always used my cameras out in the cold if it's in the 20's or

higher and never had a problem before.

Anyone else have this problem with the D-rebel?

I was using a generic brand battery.

Thanks...

Some memory cards have issues with cold as well.

Recently when my parents came up to visit, we went to Mt. Shasta with my little brothers, built a snowman, the whole 9 yards. They brought their new kodak digital camera with them.

Got home, I downloaded the images (thankfully) - withing an hour, the memory card no longer worked. Luckily they bought it recently enough to get it replaced under warranty - and the camera was fine.

There are expensive memory cards specifically designed to deal with the temperature extremes (cold and hot) but the cheaper cards are temperature sensitive as well as the cameras. Drawback of solid state.

The 300D (and 10D) are only specified as operating down to freezing point - compared with film bodies that would keep going in your deep freeze (-20 centigrade, -4 F). In practice, the digital bodies will work below freezing, but battery life is greatly shortened. Some batteries are better than others for cold temperature performance. There's no doubting that cold can kill a digital body completely (the electrontics cannae take it, Cap'n), so don't take too many risks - and be sure to let the camera cool and warm up gently (though you can keep a battery warm in your pocket to helpamintain its performance).

I shot for about 2 hours on the north shore of Lake Superior in about 10F with no ill effects. I took at least 60 frames and I know the battery was partially charged when I started and it lasted the session. The camera was on a tripod, I didn't try to keep it or the battery warm (I had a spare inside my jacket, just in case). I was using the LCD for histogram review, but no flash.

Earlier that weekend I was skiing with the camera in a Velocity 7 Sling-pack. It was about 20-25F. Again, the camera had no issues.

I think it does quite well in the cold. YMMV.<div>0077Wc-16209284.jpg.faf52899c9099993859791f2209f75eb.jpg</div>

<I>I was using a generic brand battery. </I><BR><BR>

there's your answer... try to use canon batteries, as even in the cold they keep their charge better than most third party batteries, especially the cheep ones (thats why canon's are expensive... quality!)

Hello,

In my opinion, your result has nothing to do with it being a generic battery. I have used my 300d (with Canon battery) many times this winter, for several hours at a time, in photo blinds where the temperature did not get above 15 degrees F. No problem. I have experienced what your are talking about, however. I don't know what the cause is, but my cure for many an e-tronic ailment is simply to remove the battery for a few seconds then put it back in. Every time my 300d has done what you describe (maybe 5 times this winter), I've done this and it then popped back to perfect life every time...........presto....and then worked perfectly.

By the way, I do believe that every Canon DSLR is rated at the exact same operating temps as the 300d. Canon tech's say one should have no problems in cold temps, really, though; the problem becomes when you bring such an electronic gizmo indoors to warmer temps and get condensation. For this reason, one should put one's dslr in a gallon- sized ziplock, or other watertight container, when bringing from cold to warm temps.

Just some snack food to nibble on there. Hope it helps!

Rich

Canon's manual for the 300D state an operating temperature of 32-104 degrees F at 85% max non-condensing humidity. They also give tested battery times (in numbers of shots w/50% flash and w/o flash) for 68 and 32 degrees F. They clearly do not intend one to use the camera in sub-freezing temperatures. If you use the camera outside its specified temperature range, you are "on your own", so to speak.

I'm not surprised at the narrow operating conditions given for a consumer-marketed electronic item, but I'm annoyed that Canon does not give storage temperatures, for instance. How are we supposed to know if its OK to expose the camera to sub-freezing temperatures when it is turned off (in luggage, or the trunk of your car, for instance)?

From my viewpoint, the specifications are incomplete, because no storage temps are given.

Anyway, batteries are one limitation, but another one might be the LCD displays. A lot of LCD displays are sensitive to cold (and heat) and will not function or might even be ruined if exposed to extremes. As far as the remainder of the electronics go, most semiconductors will operate below freezing these days, so that really shouldn't be an issue. One remaining area of concern would be the shutter mechanism, though. Lubricants have a habit of getting thick and gummy at low temperatures, and depending on the materials used, clearances may change, as well. The result could be a slow or jammed shutter or mirror mechanism.

Now, I would expect that the Canon pro cameras (the single-digit series, like the 1Ds and 1V) would have much wider temperature ranges specified (but, it appears that at least the 1Ds does not -- I don't have access to a 1V manual, though). If not, they wouldn't be very useful for the kinds of things that folks like to do with cameras from time to time, like climb Mt. Everest, and take pictures. I guess that's what an F5 is for, I suppose 8-).

If you want a tough environment for electronics, take automotive. If you consider the temperature (and vibration) that automotive electronics has to go through, you should gain some appreciation for the challenges involved (and also realize that it can be done, but it costs extra for components that can deal with those conditions).