OT -- Virus protection

henry_ting2

I'm not too sure when someone claim a "commonsense" approach to this whole thing and they never got "virus" on their system. Unless, one is conscientious of every keystroke, inevitably all it takes is a mis-key......and "ooops" for shi* to happen. As a person like me who was a retired IT consultant and now branched out into private business, sometimes lugging that laptop all over the world, with a doze of brain-damage jet lag, plugging into any airport wireless broadband, shi* happens. So guys, sometimes I don't have the comfy of a home desktop with all the time in the world AND a cup of coffee in front of me.

"...one is conscientious of every keystroke, inevitably all it takes is a mis-key......"

Henry,

You don't understand. The secondary radiation from all those electrons hitting the screens since the advent of television has created a new species, now easily visible almost anywhere on the internet. They never make mistakes. Unfortunately, the advantage seems to disappear in most cases once they get out of their twenties or their sophomore year in college.

Why won't the italics go away!? </i><br><br>

All it takes is one bad script or even a legit file from a friend sending it for legit reasons to contain a virus and you've got one. You don't even have to do anything wrong specifically, other than to not have antivirus.

"Henry,

You don't understand. The secondary radiation from all those electrons hitting the screens since the advent of television has created a new species, now easily visible almost anywhere on the internet. They never make mistakes. Unfortunately, the advantage seems to disappear in most cases once they get out of their twenties or their sophomore year in college."

Will, I hear you.

My perspective of the past and current generations. For the current generation, since things haven't happened to them yet, consequently they think it will never happen to them, AND consequently they don't even know what they don't know, AND consequently they think they know everything there is to know, AND consequently .... do I sound like a grumpy old man ?

• 3 weeks later...

Henry, if you're talking about the current generation of teens and 20 somethings, I think they're more in touch with keeping their computers safe than the old fogeys are. That's not to say there aren't plenty of people who think it won't matter, of all ages... but the current younger generations grew up with them and have a better understanding of computers.

This does not apply to all things in life however.