Looking for my first D-SLR...Canon 10D Opinions?

walt_coleman

Photography for me is a hobby. I primarly shoot on vacations and

weekend getaways. Lanscapes, cityscapes, wildlife, etc. is what I

enjoy. I'm about ready to move to the D-SLR world. I've been

holding off for the new Minolta 7D, but with an introductory price

of $1600 for the body alone, I'm having a hard time justifying that

kind of money on a hobby, and on a manufacturer that may or may not

continue to develop DSLR's down the road.

I see the price of the Canon 10D has dropped and I figure along with

a good lens, I can get into a 10D for around $1500.

My question...what are your opinions on the 10D? Is the image

quality solid (color, noise)? Is the battery life good? Overall,

are you happy with the 10D and would buy it again?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The 10D is great, the 20D is better. If you're strapped for cash, I'd certainly say that a 10D would be just fine. Solid camera with good performance that's never let me down.

I have a 10D and I have not upgraded to a 20D yet. Maybe I will, maybe not. Logically, the 10D does everything I need, but of course there's always that temptation to "upgrade".

Major pluses for the 20D are a faster turn-on time, more pixels, bigger buffer and faster frame rate.

Some people will feel that the 10D is now obsoleted by the 20D. My own opinion is simply that mine took great images when it was new, and continues to do so. Obviously the 20D is improved, but if I had to budget between a D70, DRebel or a 10D I'd choose the 10D, narrowly over the D70. In an few years the 20D and 10D will both be pretty much equally obsolete, and will also both be still shooting great pictures. YMMV, of course.

Do expect a bit of a learning curve in the digital darkroom.

For the kind of shooting you mention, the 10D should be a wonderful camera for you. I've enjoyed mine very much (and continue to), and there's no doubt it can take fantastic pictures. My only thoughts of upgrading are to something in the 1 line (1D probably) because I most enjoy shooting sports and for that, the 10D has some limitations. I can't imagine you buying the 10D and regretting it. --Russ

I still stick with my D60 and just stoped reading digital SLR forums :-)

The 10d is worth it as long as you don't need wideangel, then a 300d or 20d is the better choice. Although the Sigma 12-24 seems to be a good perfomer and the Sigma 15-30 is nice, too.

I'll wait another one or two years for a canon with bigger viewfinder and 1:1.3 sensor below 3000 Euro or my savings account allowing for a 1D MkII, whatever comes first<div>009nOy-20049084.jpg.309bc2df9fa1fa2948bb6e9262fba95c.jpg</div>

The 10D is a great camera. And because there's now the 20D, you can get the 10D for less money than ever before (second hand or new). It has VERY low noise and good color. Look at the reviews:

<p><a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos10d.asp">dpreview.com's 10D review</a><br>

<a href="http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/10d.html">Steve's Digicams 10D review</a>

Yes, I referred to the EF-S lenses. I'm not so pleased with Canons decision to create a new mount and incompatible lenses (rear element to mirror clearance).

As I wan't a camera with a bigger viewfinder, which means a bigger sensor and so a bigger mirror, the EF-S lenses are not for me. At the moment I'm ok with a 20-35/f3.5-4.5 and take film for anything wider.

The dRebel 300D is down to $699 with the rebate. Maybe buy it with the 18-55mm. Or buy the 24-85mm $300 (you are walking around taking great pics for about $10000 or 28-135mm $400 zoom. Or buy the 17-40mm L 4.0 zoom at $655 with rebate and get the 50mm or 85mm to go with it. Opens up a world of digital possibilities. Best.

10D is now obsoleted by the 20D.

The 30D in 6 months time will make them both obsolete. Save hard folks. Word on the steets that within 9 months there's going to be a 40D.

Unfortunatilly, you poor work shy lot will be left behind. Lets be honest, what galley will want photos from a(sad, or what, poor photographers) 6 million pixel camera.

Bob said:

Major pluses for the 20D are a faster turn-on time, more pixels, bigger buffer and faster frame rate.

But Bob, what about the better ISO and faster AF performance?:) I agree, the 10D is a very capable camera and I wouldn't consider the upgrade to the 20D unless I absolutely needed two or more of the new features. Too many people put way too much emphasis on what the camera is capable of long before they take stock of what their abilities as a photographer are. It's as if they think a better camera will automatically take better pictures, then they wonder why the reality is so much different from their expectations. This isn't limited to just cameras, in my experience. It seems to be all too common in this day and age, sadly.

Rick A. Diaz

www.mcjournalist.com

I love the 10D and may wait for the "40D" before upgrading. Based on your expressed needs, the D-Rebel may work as well. Spend your money on "quality" glass. Primes and/or L zooms. My consumer zooms do not deliver the results with the 10D and are now gathering dust.

I would say get a D60. DSLR world is changing very fast, faster than I ever thought. Now a new rebel is coming (guestimate), the price of the drebel will fall down. With a D60 you can save at least 500 bucks upfront and picture quality is still at per with 10D, if AF speed is not issue with you you will be very satisfied. My suggestion is get the D60 now and wait for the price of the new ones cool down for a while. Move to the better body once you see a bigger RAW buffer, brighter VF and a smaller crop factor. I don't see any reason for the move from 10D to 20D.

If you live in the U.S., you may want to consider buying a Digital Rebel (although not as full-featured as the D60 someone suggested, unlike the D60 the Digital Rebel uses the same sensor and processing chip that the 10D uses - so same image quality) and 2 Canon lenses. The Canon USA rebates are doubled if you buy two different items, tripled if you buy three. This makes the Digital Rebel's rebate $300 instead of the $100 single rebate if you bought the camera alone.<p>With B&H's price of $799 for the body, that comes to only $499 for a 6MP DSLR!<p><a href="http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/slr/CIWC101504.pdf">Canon USA triple rebate form.</a>

I like the solid feel of the 10D over the Rebel. I also like the mirror lock ability that it has. If the Rebel had this, though, I would save the extra money and go for the Rebel (It would have to be a black one, though :), and put the money saved into buying better glass.