Sigma 5-6.3/170-500 APO tele zoom for D70

richard_laepple

Hello all. I saw the Sigma 5-6.3/170-500 APO for a good price. Does

anybody have experiences with this lens? I have a D70 and think of a

longer lens for nature pics. 500mm with a DSLR could be great. How

does it perform with a D70 (AF speed, brightness...), what do you

think? Thanks a lot.

Hi Richard, I owned this lens as my first 'long' lens for birds/widlife. Considering the price of a used one ($400 to $450), it's really pretty good. I'll never forget my first set of zoo photos I took with it and I was very pleasantly surprised by the sharp results. It's got a fairly short min focus distance and the focus speed isn't too bad. The next jump from there for me was a Nikon prime = much more expensive and heavier. For the $$$, it gets a thumbs up from me. Good luck! -- Greg --

I had one about 3 years ago,basically for wildlife and zoo photos. I found it a bit soft and very awkward since the lens barrel used to telephoto to full length if the lens was pointing downwards. The view wasn't exactly that bright with my F100 and now my D70 has dimmer viewfinder so you can image how that would be. Its a decent lense for a very good price ($400 or less). I rather use my older 80-200mm F/2.8 with a teleconverter.

And what ever you do, NEVER get a 200-400mm Tamron AF zoom. This has to be the worst lens I ever bought.I shot 3 rolls of film with it and sold it on Ebay for $200...