using polarization filters with teleobjectives

antti_luukkonen

I have no experience using polarization filters (or any other filters, to be exact) and I've recenetly got interested in using them and therefore I need some information about the subject. I read with great interest Moose Peterson using polarization filter with his Nikon 300/2,8, especially, because I have a same objective. In what kind of situations can pol-filter been used with teleobjectives? Does it reduce the blue light when photographing in late night shady light? As far as I know, Nikon doesn't have 39 mm pol-filter, so who does produce a one?

Polarizers on telephotos are used to do the same things

that they do on all other lenses. Basically saturate

colors, remove specular reflections (e.g. from the

surface of water), darken blue skies and sometimes cut

through haze. If you want to remove blue light, a

warming filter (81A, 81B, 812 Tiffen) is a better

bet. More effective and cheaper!

<p>

I know that <a href="http://www.kirkphoto.com">Kirk Enterprises </a> (here in the USA) makes

a rotating circular polarizing filter for the big

Nikon lenses. Price is about $300. I'd be quite suprised

if Nikon didn't make something. The Kirk filter can be

rotated with the filter installed in the lens. With

some filters you may have to install it in the right

orrientation.

<P>Polarizing filters block polarized light (light vibrating in one direction, such as those reflected from water, shiny surfaces, and also haze associated with light bouncing off particulate matter in the upper atmosphere.

<P>It will darken blue skies without distorting chromatic rendition of other colors; the filters will are also effective in B&W photography. If your camera is a modern 35mm SLR, it probably has a beam-splitting metering system and will require a circular polarizer - consult your camera manual.

<P>The big filter companies, Tiffen, B+W, and Hoya all make polarizers and circular polarizers in various sizes. Your local pro shop should carry them; since you're using prime lenses I wouldn't slap on some cheap filter.

<P>For more information, consult Stroebel's <I>Photographic Materials and Processes</I> or the <I>Kodak Professional Photoguide,</I> both of which devote an entire chapter to filters (and have been reviewed in Philip's <I>Dead Trees</I> section of this web site, or the <I>Kodak Photographic Filters Handbook</I> which is obviously entirely dedicated to the subject.

Bob Atkins alluded to this, but since the first poster has no experience with filters I though I'd explicitly mention that filters used with large telephotos such as the 300/2.8 drop into a filter holder at the rear of the lens.

<p>

These are quite small (39mm for Nikon? I'm Canon so don't

know exactly, but that gives you an idea) so shouldn't be terribly expensive.

In response to Don, the small drop-in filters (39mm for

Nikon, 48mm for Canon) <i> shouldn't</i> be very

expensive, but often they are. I suppose it's economics

of supply and demand, but they are often much more

expensive than, say, 49mm or 52mm filters! Users of

Canon lenses should note that "regular" 48mm filters

(intended to go on the <i>front</i> of some lenses)

are often too thick to fit in the filter drawer. You

can, however, remove the glass, thin down the filter

holder ring with sandpaper, and put the glass back.

This works fine. I <i>think</i> that Tiffen may now

make thin 48mm filters for Canon lenses at reasonable

prices ($20-$30), but still 2 or 3 times the price of

52mm filters!

• 1 month later...

Nikon produces 4 drop-in circular polarizers for their telephoto lenses. Two in 39mm and two in 52mm. In each size, one is for non-AF-I/S lenses and the other is for the AF-I/S lenses. I have not been able to determine which is for which yet though. They do have different product code numbers though.

<p>

There's a knob at the bottom of the circ. pol. that can be turned. Turning this know will move gears which rotate the circ. pol. to the desired position.

• 1 year later...

The Nikon ED 300mm f/2.8 D IF uses 52mm filters. I beleive B&H

has the Nikon POL in a rotating mount for this lens.

<p>

Kirk Enterprises (they have a web site) makes a 39mm Rotating POL

for the 500mm f/4 P &c. List $299.00!! Andorama hasit for $249.00

<p>

The primary use of a "rotating" POL filter is to darken the sky. It

should be noted that you will loose 1-2 f stops!! And that the Nikon

F5 using "D" lens requires a "circular pol" filter, not "linear" one.

<p>

They also make straigt POL filters useful in reducing glare off

water/metal and same such.

• 1 month later...

The Nikon 39mm drop-in polarizer, while expensive (~$250), is probably the nicest filter for a tele. You can see exactly the effect that you want at the aperture that you want. Additionally, you have better protection for the filter in this location, than on the front of the lens. You will not get spurious reflections off of th filter giving unwanted "highlights" either. Be sure that you do not mount the filter "backwards" as this will negate the desired effect. Since it is a costly item, and you will probably not keep it in the lens all the time, use a sturdy case to protect it when not in use.

Alex