Loose hood on Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro

rwbowman

I have an almost brand-new EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens with the Canon ET-67 hood.

Unfortunately, the hood doesn't fit snugly in the bayonet mount, but wants to jiggle

around a bit.

Anyone know of a good way to make it fit better? I'm thinking a bit of plastic electrical

tape, but maybe there's something more elegant.

Thanks in advance.

That is a "normal" problem i think, because when i bought my 100/2.8 USM macro - I tried 5 different lens hoods and none of them was any good! I drew the conclusion that they probably did not get any better, so i bought one of them. Two of my friends also have the same lens - with the same problem...unfortunately. The problem with my lenshood only got worse and fall of very easily. I have not found an elegant solution, so i use black tape.

How much is "wiggle around a bit"? Be sure you lined up the markings correctly first. Mine is 18 months old and fits tight.

Do you really want electrical tape on a brand new lens because the company can't manufacture with fit accuracy? These hoods cost a lot of money. If a "bit" is significant, then go back and demand the quality they charge those large prices for. But, if a "bit" is a mil or two, go take some photos.