Ilford XP-2 super colourcast when printed on colour paper

Last time I used an Ilford XP-2 and ordered prints (on the first order

they always print it on colour paper as they send it (as C-41 film) to

their colour lab) the prints got a greenish colour cast. I only need

them as proof prints, I intend to scan the negatives later or - if

necessary - order prints from selected negatives on b&w paper

afterwards. Anyway: IF these proof prints get a colour cast, I would

prefer them brownish (sepia like), not green and blue. So my question

is: can I demand that the lab produces a *certain* colour cast (sepia)

or is that something they don't have under control? I'll not order

frontier prints (there of course they can control it or simply switch

the frontier printer to the b&w mode), but standard optical prints,

because they are cheaper.

Your prints are cheaper because this lab doesn't spend the extra time for customization. You get what you pay for, and the lab isn't obliged to constantly re-do the prints to your liking at their cost when XP2 really wasn't designed to work in this fasion.

Sure, you can set up a more accurate channel for XP2 with an analog integrator, but good luck getting the lab to do it. Doesn't hurt to ask though. You might want to switch to Portra B/W, since this will make like much easier for that lab while not changing too much in terms of scan quality. I prefer XP2 because of it's clearer base, but Portra B/W is easier for analog labs to deal with.

I prefer XP2 over the Kodak films because XP2 doesn't have to make compromises to be compatible with color film channels.

Again, XP2 and Portra B/W are more radical from a conventional labs point of view than Agfa Ultra 100 vs Kodak Portra NC. Portra B/W is designed to work with standard color film channels to yield neutral prints, T400CN so-so, and XP2 *no way*. If it were a digital printer like a Frontier it really wouldn't matter what film you use.

The lab should be able to produce any color cast that you request, as no color cast at all, but there are some films that are easier to work with than others.

I have used Ilford XP-2, Kodak T400CN and Konica Monochrome VX-400, and the Konica is my favorite to be processed at "cheap" labs on color paper, because it comes back with no color cast at all.

"If it were a digital printer like a Frontier it really wouldn't matter what film you use."

I agree, I shouldn't. But it does a little bit.

Although XP2 and TCN came back perfectly neutral several times from a Frontier lab, the XP2 had significant more grain in the shadows. I suspect that the orange mask of TCN works better with the lab's standard black- and white point settings.

So I'd use XP2 if you print yourself in a wet lab, to print on any kind of commercial lab on color paper I'd use a film with orange mask.

That's an interesting observation with XP2 and not one I'd entirely disagree with. Since T400CN and Portra B/W are going to be printed with standard C-41 look-up tables XP2 might get treated more like a conventional B/W film, and we know how lousy the Frontier treats conventional B/W film.

In either respect, I'll use 400F or Portra UC or Superia 800 with a Frontier if I want B/W prints.