First Time Wedding

jason_weiss

I do mostly fashion and glamour photography and was recently asked by

a stranger if I could do her wedding in October. I have no idea how

they got to me, and I've never shot a wedding before (well, video, but

that doesn't count and was for a friend). I'm wondering what kind of

lighting and background equipment is needed and what's a standard

price, turnaround, # of prints, etc. Any advice or information at all

would be very useful. Perhaps I should just say no?

Thanks, JASON

Jason,

I like to encourage people to do weddings. But I would not take this wedding from a

stranger. Fashion and glamour photography only share alittle knowledge with wedding

photography. You will be overwhelmed by demands. I think this couple equates "fashion

photographer" as instant qualification for wedding photography. I don't think so. Some

commercial photographers think they are qualified to do weddings. I think we wedding

photographers leave them all in the dust with their slow reactions and thinking. I think

you could find yourself in trouble. I would advise you to turn it down; but investigate

wedding photography under non-pro conditions. People have a habit of suing wedding

photographers without qualm whereas they would simply ask for a re-shoot of a fashion

photographer.

I think you should take the conservative route this time.

I agree. Start with friends and family. However, ask this person their budget. If she has no budget (i.e., under $500), you could tell her that you've never photographed a wedding, but have good photography skills and would be willing to try. For that amount, you would burn a high-res CD or give her the negatives, after you've had a chance to print a few for your own portfolio.

There are dozens of threads about equipment and technique in the wedding forum. Browse through them for more answers.

Jason,

Consider shooting the wedding for free. Go take 80 shots, and make them the most

important 10 shots of the wedding: formals, cake cutting, garter throw, ceremony

pictures.

It will be good experience for you. You don't have to wear a suit, just wear black pants

and a white shirt and tie; or wear all black. I wear all black, no suit jacket.

It will be an experience for you. Just don't have them rely upon you wholly. Tell them

you'll go and "try". They will be thrilled. Give them something from your heart, they will

respond with a gift or at least the right to use their pictures as part of a portfolio. It could

be a start of something for you. I just didn't want you to become liable. Don't take any

money from them. If they want to donate $$$ to you later, fine.

Jason - I looked at your web site and some of your work posted on photo.net, and your stuff is very good. If the bride looked at samples of your work and then contacted you to shoot her wedding, assume that the look of your work is what she wants. Just make sure of this and understand the bride's expectations. Then you can just be Jason Weiss, covering a wedding. What are you going to do, unlearn everything you know so you can shoot like Timber Bagawind?

Figure maybe $2k for full day coverage and 500 4x6 proof prints.