Camouflage Lens Covers?

chris_bolton

I have recently purchased a Nikon 300mm f2.8 and a Nikon 400mm f3.5

(manual focus), for wildlife photography. I wish to cover these two

lenses with camouflage neoprene lens covers, however, I have only been

able to find such covers for Canon lenses. I was wondering if covers

for Nikon lenses exists and where they can be purchased. Also, if

not, where can you buy neoprene, camouflage fabric.

"Nikon does make camoflage lens covers for artic based wildlife photographers" LOL

At any rate, I agree with Ellis, I don't really see the point of putting camo on a nikon lens. Are you trying to hide your black lens or are you looking for protection from scratches? I don't think either would be really necessary. At any rate, if you must cover the lens you might try wrapping the lens in a plastic grocery bag and then covering it with camo duct tape. The plastic bag will prevent the glue from permenantly adhering to your lens. If you wrap the tape tight enough it will remain fairly secure and won't slide too much.

Hello Chris go to http://www.birdsasart.com/accs.html

Arthur Morris sells the neoprene covers - the maker of the covers is John Ford (an excellent bird photographer). I bought mine directly from John after receiving his flyer by mail. I don't think John has a web site. I think if you were to call Artie- he would be able suggest

covers for your lenses or possibly pass on contact information to John Ford.

If it seems the covers are on more Canon lenses- its because the white lenses show wear much more than darker lenses. The camo-neoprene covers do a nice job absorbing the typical wear of the lenses.

Does camo work? It has been written that animals respond more to bright colors than muted colors. I can't say for sure about colors or tones, but they do respond to movement- with the camo covers some movement might be less noticeable. It can't hurt.

The Lens Covers you're inquiring about are JRF lens covers. I've seen them advertised on Joe McDonalds site as well as Arthur Morris web page.

I know they are available for most Canon Telephotos and I beleive the Nikon 600 mm F4 AFS.

Arthur Morris has photos of them available on his site. I think they're a good idea if you're using Canon Telephotos and the new Nikons with the gray finish. With an $8000.00 + investment in a 600 mm F4, I really don't think they're a bad deal @ 70.00.

Pete is very correct on all counts. Note: the big deal with the neoprene covers is that they protect the lenses from dings and scratches and whacks and increase the resale value tremendously. ANd, it is true that the finish on Nikon lenses is far more resistant to scratches, etc. It is my belief that camo is pretty much of a waste for the bird photography that I do. I simply move slowly, stay low, and take great care not to swing a tripod-mounted lens off of my shoulder when I am close to a bird...

Best, Arthur Morris/BIRDS AS ART www.birdsasart.com

• 1 month later...