New 503cx, lens serial number and PME 5 questions

marke_gilbert

Finally stepped into the water--

<P>Just won an auction for a 503cx, 2 backs, 80 planar, PME 5,

polaroid back, filters, etc. 1300.00 for all of it.

<P>Can anyone date the lens, serial number 7267925?

<P>And, what can you tell me about the PME 5? When were they

manufactured? What is the metering pattern? How is it displayed? Any

info would help.

Here's how to date the lens.....there is a red letter/number combo near the rear element. For example A49E means the lens was made in 1994. Basically you reverse the numbers.

A49E means that the shutter and some other parts were made in january (A) 1994 (49). This red number in the rear end of the lens does not tell when the lens was made (the lens may be newer than this). In my CF-FLE50/4 with number 7201xxx the shutter is made in jan or may 1991 (A19E or E19A, I don't have it with me now, so I don't remember the combination correct).

From the 2 letters in the serialn. of the body and backs you can tell the age from this: VHPICTURES=1234567890 (EP=1993)

<<A49E means that the shutter and some other parts were made in january (A) 1994 (49). This red number in the rear end of the lens does not tell when the lens was made (the lens may be newer than this).>>

Where did you dream up that ludicrous nonsense? The number is painted on the inside of the lens flange light baffle, which is part of the final assembly of each lens. It is nowhere near or even remotely connected with the shutter.

Marke,<br><br>The metering pattern depends a bit on focussing screen, and lens, used. But basically, it meters a spot lying just above center, within the area marked by the outer ends of the reference cross lines on the focussing screens.<br><br>The display in the prism shows EVs (Exposure Values). You set these on the lens using the EV scale on both aperture and shutterspeed rings, by turning either ring, or both.<br>If two values light up, the correct value to set is the half stop in between.<br><br>You need to set not only the correct ISO value on the prism, but (and this is as important) the maximum aperture value of the lens you happen to be using too.<br>ISO and Aperture are set using the two small levers inside the circular thingy on the prism's left. The values appear in the little window left of the eyepiece. The aperture value should be set so that it shows between (!) the two lines in the "MAX" window. Though not on the scale, you can set half stops (for when you would be using 60 mm or 100 mm lenses).<br><br>The meter is switched on by pressing the large button on the prism's front right (seen from behind). It switches off automatically. A green light will light in the window to the right of the eyepiece each time to indicate the battery status (green = good). You'll never know when it wil stop showing green, so carry a spare.