About image circle of Biogon and Sonnar

byeong_h_cho

Dear Byeong,

According to my Zeiss data, the image circle of the 53mm Biogon is 115mm, while the 180mm Sonnar is 140mm. These lenses are designed for 6 X 9 format (or smaller). Although the Linhof select Zeiss lenses are top performers in many respects, they are not known for large image circles! If you want Zeiss lenses for 4 X 5, I would stick with the 75mm Biogon (170mm image circle), 135mm Planar (170mm image circle), 135mm Planar (late with 67mm screw-in filter size -- 180mm image circle) or 250mm Sonnar (190mm image circle).

Best regards,

J. P. Mose

I have a 180mm Sonnar mounted on a 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic lens board and it does cover 4x5 at infinity, despite the above data supplied by Zeiss. I can get a tiny amount (1/4 inch?) of front rise before the image circle abruptly ends (no gradual softening/fade-out). It seems sharp to the edges on the groundglass, but I've only used the lens for tabletop/portrait work and so can't say for certain. It is, in my opinion, a great 4x5 still life and portrait lens. Beautiful image qualities, but if you want to use it at infinity with movement it wont do. If you tend to work closer, like me, you'll probably be very happy with it.