Is this glow?

regit_young1

Hi Frederick, thank you for prompting me about the development, I haven't thought about that :) These were direct scans from negatives and they were developed with Diafine... which is known to be FLAT!!! I'll try another developer or with C41/E6 the next time round. Thanks again for the prompt :)

Hi Vivek, I've seen this shot before somewhere and it always amazes me. Knowing that even with the thinniest adapter and without the rear element hitting the aperture lever, I can never go smaller than 1/4 magnification with the CRT... Either the boy has a small face or you adapt the lens to another camera... Pen-F(T)?!?!

On the subject, I'll try to be quicker the next time :-) Thank you for the advice.

Regit, Hari was 2.5 years old when this was shot. This particular CRT Nikkor is an unique sample in that it has about 2mm of the rear threads shaven off (there is only 0.5mm metal cover that comes over the glass) compared to the most I have seen. Mounted through a NIKLEI-K, Nikon F2 allows this lens to be mounted deep enough to get to 1/5.5X. BTW, I have also managed to mount (set at infinity, covers entire frame) the same lens in front of a Bessa-L. This gives about 15mm super sharp circular image and rest of the frame amazingly fuzzy, distorted and what not!

Fast lenses and fast shutter speeds was quite a discovery for me!

Stuart has got it. Soft side light from a window. Focus on the nearest eye with shallow DOF. Voila! glow

The light is the key. The other stuff is technique that will give you a certain type of portrait. For anything to glow, you need glowing light. That's what glows. Not necessarily old lenses.

Hi E B, if Stuart's shot has got the "glow" would this shot approximate to it? If it does, then I'm truely confused and looking for the wrong thing. From what I've read, the glow is a result of uncorrected abberations. Should the latter be the case, I'm looking for something along the line of this shot.

<br><br>

<a href=http://www.pbase.com/regit/image/35898624>http://www.pbase.com/regit/image/35898624</a>

<br><br>

Taken with a XR-Heligon, reversed-mounted on a D2H. No special lighting; all lens. The lens is clean as a whistle as well.<div>00DZRS-25675684.jpg.587079ce14f21f6f0a1783d3bfbe514f.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...