E1 digital mount > other manufacturers' opinions on it?

r._j.

<i> I find the E1 to be the cat's meow. </i><p>

It's high price, its relatively insignificant number of lenses for the system, its starting

without a base of installed users, and rapid technological change where much larger

competitors have offerings offering better price/performance ... could turn it into

kitty litter.

I just noticed that the E-1 tied for third place in the Atkins poll of innovative digital cameras in 2003. Taking 47 votes ot of 470. That puts it in the running with John Edwards and Wesley Clark,no wait that is another poll,sorry. Actually, there are amateurs who started with Olympus Epics or Olympus digital cameras who may be swayed into the E system once a lesser priced model comes out this year. Or the fixed lens E model series. There is room for a new mount and its been 30 years says Oly since they introduced a new system. And they did some homework. I won't second guess them yet. But I can guess what Canon and Nikon and their acolytes say. What would they say. Now where is Foveon, are they sitting in the corner or will they pull a rabbit out of the hat?

<i> there are amateurs who started with Olympus Epics or Olympus digital cameras

who may be swayed into the E system once a lesser priced model comes out this year.

Or the fixed lens E model series. </i><p>

From an $80 point-and-shoot to a non-existent body that isn't even rumored to

come out anytime soon? Wow Gerry, you must be very flexible to stretch so much.

<p>

If, if, if -- if frogs had fur the world would be safe for chinchilla. (But they don't, and

it isn't.) Compared to the competition the E-1 is overpriced, underlensed and has

no installed base to sell to. Speculate all you like about what might be 'if only' but

that and a poll still won't get you a cup of coffee ... or make an E-1 sale.

Speaking of chinchillas reminds me of my cousin who raised chinchillas on Prince Edward Island,did I ever tell that story on this forum? Well I will post it as a file on my weblog page. And then there is the incident last week when a frog,or was it a "bufo,?" was spotted in our community.I can't tell the difference but they call them "bufos" here. And then there are the real nasty Coqui, yessir the imported frogs from Puerto Rico that have become a pest here-big time- because of the raucus chirping sound,actually a love call, don't tell the kids- which drowns out stereos,and speaking of stereo, does anyone have an opinion about the Bose stereo PC speakers for personal computers,they seem overpriced at two bills,but thats classic Bose for you. Anyway, its tax time again, and I have to wait for the results before my wife will let me think of an Olympus DSLR or even a pair of lousy speakers. That s classic women for you. So what else is new. I gotta go now its dog walk time... Good question R.J. Great input from everbody.

QUOTE: ".... The fact that Olympus has not seriously incorporated OM lens into the E-system, well, ticks me off. It almost (just almost) makes me wish I had built my camera system around another manufacturer...."

QUOTE: ".... If Olympus is still blatant about not offering some kind of adapter to mount our beloved Zuiko manual focus lenses, I feel that the OM users of the world, like me, as a whole will turn their heads at the E-1...."

---- I think we all have similar feelings and none of us are about to throw our collection of Zuikos (or OM film cameras, for that matter) into the trash can just yet!

But Canon, recognized leaders in pro film and digital bodies, walked away from its old FD mount in favour of the newer EF lenses. They may be maintaining both systems, but they have not supported a 'cross-compatibility' between systems.

Based on that, I would not be 100 percent sure that a Zuiko/E1 adapter will ever be officially available from Olympus, even if someone else makes one independently.

The adaptor does exist. It was listed in early E-series info before launch but then withdrawn.

From another Olympus forum:

"It appears that Olympus Japan is to distribute the application forms for the adapters to the registered E-1 users in Japan after January 15. The distribution of the free adapters are to begin in late February with first come (application) first serve basis."

The correspondent provides a link to a Japanese text page, and a few days later also included a link to a page (again in Japanese)outlining the compatible OM lenses and recommended apertures. See the following links:

http://lists.tako.de/html/Olympus-OM/2004-01/msg01301.html

http://lists.tako.de/html/Olympus-OM/2004-01/msg01479.html

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=7505855

Offering it to registered E-1 users is surely a ruse to tempt OM owners to buy an E-1. I have also read that there will be a strictly limited number of adaptors.