This is just wrong [Multicolour 'blads]

eric friedemann

Coloured Hasselblads have been around for a long time now.

First of all, on all NASA Hasselblads the vinyl covering was removed, and they initially were painted a dull black. The lunar surface cameras were painted in a silver colour. Now all NASA Hasselblads are black again.

The photogrammetric MK70 Hasselblad cameras were covered in a grey vinyl. The later addition to this range, the MKWE is covered in a bright yellow vinyl. The photogrammetric cameras also have a white trim, instead of chrome.

Several special issue cameras were presented with coloured vinyls. Some in the same red (25th anniversary of the SWC, 503 CW Gold Supreme, covered in real leather) and blue tones (Gold 503 CX, The Bhumibol cameras), now available. A white Hasselblad was presented once to HRH Prince Andrew (or was it a gift to his mother?).

The commemorative ELM from 1982 (20 years in space) had the same grey covering as the photogrammetric cameras.

Over the years many cameras customized by their owners were presented in Hasselblad Magazine, later Hasselblad Forum.

Most hasselblads still are only available in black vinyl coverings. A pitty, isn't it?

Makes me wonder if Hassy is having trouble selling their line. Looks like a cheap marketing ploy to increase sales. Let's face it, Apple pretty much popularized this with the iMac as others have suggested.

Had Hassy done it first, I'd think hey pretty cool, but ... now it just looks cheap. Besides, I don't buy gear based on how it looks, but rather on how it performs.

I think they should drop the concept like a hot potato (potatoe, hehehe!, those familiar with American politics will get this one).

• 1 year later...