Any tips on cleaning Leica equipment

Eduardo:

OK you asked: 1. take an old cotton T shirt or similar and wash it thoroughly in hot water to be sure that no grease or grit remains. 2. After it dries, cut it into roughly 8 inch squares.

3. Designate one or two squares for different tasks by cutting corners (Example: 1 corner cut = for lenses; 2 corners cut = leather surfaces; etc, etc.) 4. For lenses use the cloth and your breath (this works best after you load up on Johnny Walker Black) GENTLY stroke in circles from the center out 5. For leather (vulcanite) use any mild soap diluted in water, and gently rub in circles then rub dry, or, use any leather cleaning product. Dip the cloth into the solution and clean that way, do NOT put the solution (soap or cleaner) directly on to the vulcanite. 6. For the metal surfaces, use any household glass cleaning product, as above (dip and rub), or same soap solution as for leather, but maybe a little stronger, or, liquid car 'wax' but be very careful to imediately rub dry, and remove excess.

I don't have to tell you to take the lens off the cameras first,and not to get ANYTHING inside the body, right?

As a substitute for the cut up T shirt, you can buy a package of cotton handkerchiefs -- not nylon or polysester, but I would wash them first anyway, becaseu most of them are chemically pre-shrunk, and you want to get rid of any residue.

Maybe I take lousy pictures, but only with clean equipment.

If you get something sticky or oily on the body try a bit of dishwashing detergent (like Dawn) on a damp sponge followed by a damp paper towel or cloth to rinse off the detergent, then dry it with a towel. Otherwise just leave it alone! A little dirt adds character and is much easier to achieve than brassing, especially on chrome bodies.

Well, after being outside all day I wash my hands and face and dry them with a terry cloth towel. Then, I sprinkle a "little" more water on the towel, roll it up a wring it to distribute the water; no soggy parts, then clean the camera with the lens mounted at focused to minimum (barrel extended). Then the front element with a Lenspen.

My wife confiscates my tee shirts after they get good and comfortable with a few Brando style holes, tears them so they are no longer wearable, and stows them in a hamper for cleaning windows, etc. Then I steal them from her for use in the shop. Short of micro fiber cloths they are the best thing I have found for lenses. I swore off lens tissue years ago when a (former) friend ruined one of my lenses with it. I get lots of flame when I claim it is about the same as sandpaper. A Lens Pen, used properly, is the best thing since sliced bread, and those Kiwi Shine Sponges (neutral color) are great for Vulcanite or leather. Diluted Fantastic cleaner works very well for me on brightwork and I use it neat for encrusted crud. Stimudent tooth picks are great for tight corners. After everything is good and dry I rub a little WD40 on my hands and then rub the metal down with it. ( BTW WD40 is also good for arthritis in the fingers and hands if you can?t get DMSO). I quit using lens caps (except for storage) years ago in favor of permanently mounted UV filters, and I have never burnt a hole in a shutter. I still use lenses I bought back in the forties and though I am a confirmed Leica hound I sometimes revert to the Foth Derby I got for High School graduation not just for sentiment sake but going back to basics is a real hoot.