Keystone - Denver area

paul_chance

Is that not on I70 near the dillon resorvoier ? You could drive to Veil or aspen, or winterpark to see snow covered mountains, the golden gate canyon state park, Eldorado canyon state park, Rocky mountain NP might be a little bit of a drive. If you drive down to colorado springs you can go to the garden of the gods or take the train to pikes peak (that might be closed for the winter)

Aspen is much too far for a brief jaunt. I'm afraid you'll spend too much time behind the wheel if going there or RMNP. K'stone ヨ Vail is about 45 min under optimal conditions but requires a round-trip over/back of Vail Pass (10,666'). If you're feeling ambitious and prepared to brave the elements at 12,000' w/out having to hike (or wallow in fluff), I strongly suggest the far more scenic and airy Loveland Pass (Hwy 6 exit just before E'howerTunnel) en route to your biz rather than through the Eisenhower Tunnel, down the other side and back up to K'stone. Return for some splendid sunset shots looking to the SE for the two 14,000' peaks (Torreys, Grays), provided the weather permits clear viewing. A check of weather and road conditions would be prudent, along w/ snow tires and ample clothing for 0F and 25 mph breeze. Also consider a gondola ride (protected from the breeze!) at K'stone for sunset as they offer night skiing. The Flatirons (Boulder) offer a predictably beautiful sunrise, either from near or afar, and clear skies. If you find the peaks too blustery or under clouds the colorful Victorians in Breckenridge are a nice alternative, along w/ plenty of dining options (Pasta Jays for rea$onable and good Italian). Take Swan Mtn Rd, skirting Dillon Res on the E between B'ridge/K'stone, rather than going back out to I-70.

Don't know what to tell you about the wildlife. Bighorn sheep are often seen foraging along I-70 near Georgetown on the sunny side of the hwy...hardly scenic. The elk are likely tromping around in plain view in the lower meadows of RMNP and often in downtown Estes (no kidding!). Then there's the pub-wildlife...Enjoy!

I give a strong second for the Loveland Pass suggestion for some great views. Close to Denver and just off I-70 in the foothills area is Red Rocks Park...excellent rock formations. Then, as you proceed west on I-70 keep a lookout in the Genessee Park area for Buffalo/Beefalo; seeing them is hit or miss...but occasionally they come up near the highway for easy viewing (north side). In that same vicinity off to the south is the famous "flying saucer" home, also viewable from the highway, if that interests you. The drive out to Keystone is actually a very beautiful one, I'm sure you'll find something worth stopping for. Have a good time!

If you're going to be in Keystone the drive up to Loveland Pass isn't that long and there are many terrific vistas along the route. For critters, head back towards Denver on I-70 but take the Hwy 40 turn to Empire. There is a resident herd of Bighorns that can frequently be seen near the highway about 1/2 mile after you leave I-70 and in the past I've seen as many as 12 big rams at least half of which are full curl. If you're into snowshoeing the Ten Mile Creek trail which goes out of Frisco is quite beautiful with snow on it. All these places are within 30 minutes of Keystone. Good luck and good shooting.