Equal condition and price...Rolleicord Vb .vs. Autocord LMX

mark_ferrel

I've found both of these in about the same condition and about the

same price of $150. (or a Rolleicord V for $100) Is there anyone that

has both? all three? What would the plusses/minuses of each be?

Excuse me if this seems redundant, I know I've seen many Rolleicord,

Autocord posts but few of them cater to these particular models.

They say Autocords get better as time goes etc. Well this is a

nearly end of line Rolleicord .vs. a few years older Autocord.

Ease of operation, focusing screens, sharpest lens? most contrast?

Is there a big disadvantage/advantage to the Roleicord shutter

mech .vs. the Autocord?

Thanks

Mark

FWIW: I have both. I like the Autocord focusing design better 'cuz I use it handheld more than I use my Rolleicords on tripods. Both brands have given me very fine results given their inherent features and limitations. The view screen of the Autocord is easier for me to view through, too. At today's prices, I compared and kept them all.

Jeff is right. At $150 each, I'd buy and shoot both of 'em.

Mark, I don't have a Rolleicord but I do have Automat models with the Xenar lens fitted to both the V, Va, and the Vb. The Vb is the best of the lot; it's the latest/last Rolleicord and has a removable hood, handy for fitting a eye-level prism. That prism is likely to cost as much as three Rolleicords. The Autocord -if in proper condition- is a fine shooter. Like the Rolleicord its Tessar-type lens will provide tack sharp images on chrome or print film, and with a good CLA and proper care should last a lifetime. In fact, what is even more impressive is that both the Rollei and Minolta already have...they are good enough to last TWO lifetimes, if not more! The Autocord has a lever film winder, the Rollei a knob. The Rollei has the excellent, time tested Synchro-Compur shutter, the Autocord one of three excellent Japanese shutters that Minolta fitted. Expect equal sharpness (given both lenses are in good repair) and -perhaps- a bit more contrast from the Autocord.

Both camera's are well built machines, both are capable, enjoyable users. Both can be repaired and serviced. Like I said, for the price of a decent used zoom lens you could have both. That's my advice. Given the vintage of both its impossible to determine the variables because of condition and usage. The Rolleicord may be a much better, sharper shooter then again, just the opposite may be true. Given the law of averages, expect both to perform pretty closely.

Vartan, You must be joking! Indeed both cameras are old but at least the Rolleis were built for ever. The Autocord also is a sturdy camera. They are both absolutely not worn out. They may need a service, but are not worn out. In almost all cases cleaning and lubricating is all they need. /Ferdi.

Sorry, but no I'm not joking. Yes you may be able to keep these things working for a few years if you're lucky. Parts may have to be cannibalised from other non-working (and worn out) cameras. What do you think happens to worn out cameras? They don't get thrown away, they get sold for inflated prices to us amateurs. Don't fall into this trap, unless you are a collector, you will get better use out of something recent or new. I am stating this based on my experiences with old Canon's and Nikon which were not exactly lightly built and are generally more reliable than any MF cameras.

Vartan,

Nikon and Canon do not support their products more than a decade or two after they were produced. The situation is radically different for Franke & Heidecke/Rolleiflex, for which parts are readily available. In any event, there really is little to go wrong with the simple mechanism of a Rolleicord. The shutter is a rather bullet-proof Compur, the lens, on later models, is a JSK Xenar, and the few remaining parts are significantly over-engineered. I have Prewar Rollei cameras which continue to function flawlessly.

I have a couple of old large format lenses, both with the 'bullet proof' Compur shutter. Both have sticky slower speeds, self timers, and all the speeds are way off spec. I dare say 'all' they need is a service, but for the cost of servicing both of them, I can probably buy another used lens with working shutter. It's only worth it for sentimental reasons, not for regular use.

Vartan, you sound like you've had some bad experiences with vintage equipment, but let me assure you that the machines in discussion here are not "throw away" units, or beyond repair if they happen to need service or are somehow damaged. True, in both cases you'd (probably) need a donor camera, but do not discount what can be achieved with good used parts and a properly trained serviceperson. I use vintage TLR's and put lots (really, a large amount...over 1000 rolls a year) of film through them. Rollei's, Autocord's, even old Yashica's and Kalloflexes. Good durable equipment. There is indeed life in the vintage TLR! In fact, they seem to be supported better now than they were 10 years ago.

I use Rolleicord, Rolleiflex and Autocord TLR's. All have features and advantages over each other. Focusing and viewing is better on the Autocord. I believe sharpness and handling on the Rolleiflex is better. I rank them for what it is worht as follows.

1. Rolleiflex

2. Autocord

3. Rolleicord

Richard DeYoung