Leica M3 Shutter shading at 1/1000 speed- user servicable?

Just got an M3 in decent shape, and developed my first roll of Acros

to find that the shutter works very well at all speeds but 1/1000. It

shades- the shutter starts its travel closed, then towards the left of

the camera opens up to expose the film- it's shading.

Anything I can do, or just give it to the local pro shop here in

Cleveland? (Pro Camera)I'm fairly handy, having already adjusted the

rangefinder (which is now as perfect as I can tell) and I don't mind

digging a little into the camera.

If it has a shutter problem, it's probably been a long time since it has been serviced. Adjusting the infinity focus is one thing; shutter work is something else. How about sending it to Sherry or DAG for a proper CLA, and then you can look forward to years of trouble-free and reliable use, without further worry?

A well-respected tech in Salt Lake City told me years ago he could adjust my M2's shutter so the 1/500 speed would be good for years, but if I wanted a true 1/1000, it would have to come back every year for a touch-up. His usual solution was to nail down 1/500 and give me about 1/750 for the top speed. Since it was used mostly shooting indoors, it wasn't a big problem.

Yes, when the high speed start shading, it means that the lubrication in the shutter bearings is getting stiff. The Leica shutter curtains travel slowly, with low spring tension and low acceleration. (Obvious by the low X-sync shutter speeds.) This means that they don't have much power to push through thickened lubricants. It also means that the shutter speed errors are not due to the springs weakening, since they aren't very stressed.

This low speed and acceleration, plus very well-designed brakes, is part of what makes the Leica shutter quiet.

Yeah, you can re-adjust the springs to power through the gunk. But you'll stress the springs, wear down the bearings, etc. Get the Clean, Lube and Adjust from an expert...

It is good that so many who are unprofessional in repairing these Leicas understand as clearly their construction. Such makes easier the job of the mechanik to explain what will be necessary. It is quite correct that the first revelation of a required rebuilding is quite often the intermission of the 1/1000 time. So many people seldom use this time so mistakenly the camera proceeds to the intermission of the slow time clockwork before the repairing is undertaken. It is also quite correct that the soft pressure of the Leica shutterspring is responsible for the sensitivity of the Leica to proper lubricating. In other cameras the hard spring pressure is able to overpower the dessicated lubrication yet no so in the Leica. Otherwise then we have the great pleasure that the Leica shutterspring may retain usability until almost forever whilst the other brand may often require its replacing.