Super-Angulon 1:5.6 / 47, Xenar 1:3.5 / 105, and a Tele-Arton 1:5.5 /

240. The 240 does not quite fit in the little Graflex. I now find I

would like to try more movements than the Graflex has to offer. So

could anyone suggest other cameras I should consider? I like to take

my camera everywhere and so portability is a consideration and to be

able to handle the size of the 240 and the minimum focusing distance

of the 47.

Thanks

FWIW, the subject of what equipment does what, etc., is pretty well laid out in Hicks, Medium and Large Format Photography.... It is for those considering moving up from 35mm, but may be of help to you and has great photos as well.

Andrew,

You don't have many choices. Which is good. The biggest problem you will have is finding the 6x9 and then paying for it!

You have two choices: A field type camera or a monorail. And understand that today that most of the new 6x9 cmeras are all desigend for digital capture not film.

Field types: Ebony, Horseman VR, and Linhof Technica are basicly it.

Monorails: Toyo, Cambo, Linhof Technikardan, and Arca Swiss. Forget the Galvin. Way overpriced for what you would get.

Here's a good review of 6x9's:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/roundup2x3.html

What a lot of people are doing is getting a light weight 4x5 with a 6x9 rollback. Many more choices; and will cost the same or less.

I just bought a Cambo 23SF and it will take me another 3 to 6 months to track down all the accesories I need (er want!).

New 6x9 cameras will cost fron $2200 for the Ebony to $4500 for teh Linhof Technikardan. Then you will need lensboards & rollbacks, ext.

The Ebony might not handle the 47mm; check with them. Take a look at Badger Graphics and B&H for pricing.

The July 2004 issue of Shutterbug has a nice article on 6x9 View cameras by Joseph Dickerson. Check it out. Looks like you would need the Ebony SW23/23S Hybrid. Not easy or cheap to find a camera to handle the 47mm. You may also want to see what's available in cheaper used 4x5's that can handle wide angle bellows.

I agree with Bill - go for a 4x5. I have sometimes contemplated going to 6x9 but have always ended up staying with 4x5. 6x9 view cameras cost more than equivalent 4x5, are not that much smaller and lighter and tend to be a bit awkward with very wide angles. However for 6x9 cameras to make use of your lens line-up you might investigate the Horseman 985 (etc) series and the current very nice VH and VHR.

The Technikardan 23S can be had for well under $4500, e.g., B+H lists it for $3668, which is still pricy and $35 more than the 4x5 version. The range of focal lengths that Linhof recommends is 47 mm to 270 mm telephoto, so it will cover your lenses.

Since Andrew wants a camera with more movements, a Fuji rangefinder isn't the answer.

I third the suggestion to consider a 4x5. There are more choices, they will be much easier to find used (if that is what you want), and the cost may be less, particulary used. Plus you will have the option to use 4x5 film! The main thing to check on a 4x5 will be whether it can handle a 47 mm lens. Some cameras might need a bag bellows, even for the movements you would use for 6x9, or a recessed lensboard.

If you want something just a tad more conveinient and dont mind getting into another system you could try a Mamiya press camera. Several of the lenses are sharp and the 50mm lens was my favorite. IMO its more convienient than a 4x5, has interchangable backs and the lenses are cheap. It is totally manual, cock the lens etc. but I found it very workable. Also with this camera you have to sync the lenses to the rangefinder.

I just bought a Fuji G690bl 6x9 camera. I got it cheap, but they are hard to find lenses and parts for, but I like it much better than my press camera so far. Its basically like a giant Leica. I guess the downside would be the lack of parts and non interchangable backs, but it is more compact than the press. There are several lenses available and now I have a 65mm and 100mm lens. I am currently looking for a 180mm lens.

There are a few 6x7 cameras around too that look interesting. The Koni-omega's are cheap, but I have never used one. Also the Mamiya 7 is a camera I was seriously interested in for quite a while. Several 7 lenses resolve at a 35mm lens level.

I'd second the advice of looking at a lightweight 5x4 field camera with a 6x9 roll film back - something like the Ebony 45S? It will handle a 38mm/47mm on a recessed panel and go up to a 400mm telephoto. It has ALL the movements you are ever likely to need! It is a non-folder so is very quick to set up and is very stable, even when fully extended!

Arca Swiss F-Line 6x9 Compact sounds like what you want. It can be upgraded to

4x5 later. Don't know if it will handle your 240 in the 6x9 configuration. I have a

240 with a #0 shutter that will fit my Toyo Field, and a 240 with a #3 shutter that

won't. Anyway, the Arca is expensive enough to warrant changing the 240 if that's

what you need.

A Toyo VX125 will handle the 47 using a recessed board, and any size 240 without

special accessories. It's very light and compact, and will handle 4x5 jobs right away,

or 6x7, 6x9 and 6x12 with the right backs. You can get 6x9 backs that insert,

avoiding the removal of the groundglass. The Arca 6x9 needs to have the GG

removed to install the film back. Doesn't sound like a big deal until you've done it a

lot of times, or drop the GG, or need to work really fast.

There's a Galvin 6x9 on ebal right now. It has a nice lens with (Schneider Symmar 1:5.6/100) it but the opening bid is $500. Also has a Polaroid back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=710&item=3820680356&rd=1

Note: There's no darkslide with the Galvin Polaroid back. Take it off and you fog a film! I had one and it was useless, almost!

The lens is worth $200. You might get $50 for the Polaroid back.

So best you can do is to sell parts off for $250. If you bid $550 you might get it for $500. Sell the parts and your cost is $250. You might like the Galvin. I used one and it was ok. I now have a Cambo 23SF which is HEAVY compared to the Galvin.

At this price you can keep the Century and play in both worlds.