glass polarizer, and 4x4 resin filters (I know this is expensive; its

the hypothetical answer).

Here are my questions:

a) would it be a better idea to get the wide-angle hood in place of

the foundation kit? If so, could I use grads and polarizers the same

way

b)Is it a real pain to have to screw in the polarizer before

attaching the kit base/hood?

c) can you use the wide-angle hood with any lens?

I should probably research these more before posting but the research

itself is driving me nuts. I'm getting lazy...

The wide angle hood is designed with the 2;3 ratio of a 35mm camera , I usethe

standard square hoor with a 90mm with not problems.

The pain of using a wide angle dapter ring with a polarizer is well, a pain. because

you have so little to grasp when tryingto tighten the adapter to the polarizer (I use

Heliopan Polarizers)

I use wisde angle adapters forthe most part. The wide anfgle hood just didn't make

enough sense to me.

I have a pretty good collection of Sinar 100x100mm CC and color balancing (80,

81,82 & 85 series ) filters available if you are interested. they work very well in the

Lee filter holder.

I used the Lee system for several years but I don't know anything about the wide angle hoods, they came on the market shortly after I bought my system. However, I didn't have a vignetting problem with the regular hood and a 90mm F5.6 Super Angulon lens. I bought the Lee polarizer, which slides into the front of the hood like the other filters. It worked fine but I gather you're planning to use a glass polarizer on the lens, put the adapter on the polarizer rather than the lens, and then screw the hood onto the polarizer rather than the lens. I don't offhand see why that wouldn't work.

The Lee system worked well with my Tachihara but not with the Linhof Technika that replaced the Tachihara. The problem with the Linhof was that with some of my larger diamter lenses (e.g. 90mm F5.6 Super Angulon and 210 APO Symmar) there wasn't enough clearance between the bottom of the hood and the camera bed to allow the hood to be rotated and screwed onto the lens. The corners of the hood would bump into the bed.

There were some work-arounds, such as holding the lens in one hand and screwing the hood onto the adapter with the other and then mounting the whole lensboard/lens/hood assembly onto the camera but I found that very awkward to do and I came close to dropping the lens several times. I also tried extending the bellows so that the lens was out in front of the bed where the bed wouldn't interfere, screwing the hood on, and then moving the bellows back into position. There were a couple others too but I eventually just got tired of having to deal with it all the time and went back to glass filters. I don't know whether it's a potential problem with your Wisner or not since I don't know what the clearance would be between the corners of the hood when the hood is being rotated and the bed of your camera but you might want to check with Lee or Wisner if it concerns you.

• 3 months later...

On the subject of using a SA 90mm with a Lee standard hood, I would like to seek advice on the following:

1) If I use grad ND filter, for skyline that is not horizontal, it means that the filter would have to be turned, so does the hood. Will this result in vignetting?

2) Does anyone stack a screw-on filter on the lens before screwing on the wide angle Lee adapter, any vignetting by doing so?

Regards