polaroid pro pack camera

ehansen

At a flea market I recently gor a Polaroid Pro Pack camera with flash

unit for next to nothing. The camera and flash unit seems to work,

but I can't unfold the camera all the way. As it is made mostly of

plastic, I am afraid of breaking it trying to open it. Anyone have an

idea? Is this type of camera worth the effort at all?

I've never handled this particular model, but so I don't know how to open it. Polaroid discontinued this model, but it's still available brand new some places. It's the latest and last of a line of "pack" film cameras that started in the later 1960's. I would say that yes, it's worth the effort. It uses the same film packs pros use in the studio to check lighting, etc. There are some very nice films that can be used as the final product - and they scan real well. You can even have a very high quality negative if you want, in black & white, since the camera can use two types of Polaroid's positive-negative film (the regular 3.25 x 4.25 pack film, and the new type 80 square format packs). You can do a lot of very nice, creative things with Polaroid, and it can be pretty good as just straight prints. I have one in my portfolio, if you want to see (purple seclusion). So, if you can figure out how to open it, it's worth using. It doesn't have a high-end type of lens, but Polaroid's plastic lenses are actually pretty good, more than good enough for the film in most uses.

While the camera is plastic, I seem to remember the folding mechanism is metal - two metal arms at least, one to each side of the bellows. However, what may be in the way of folding (or unfolding) is a small plastic "flipper" that is to one side of the lens. That is supposed to fold down, though sometimes it stays up. If someone forced the camera closed with this up (which will break it,) then potentially you will have some problems reopening. Just do things slowly. You might check the Polaroid website too. I think this model was called the Polaroid 100EE earlier in its life so photos or explanations of that model might prove helpful.