Column of interest

brett_davis1

Brett,

Don't let snipers get to you. I hadn't seen the link before your post and did find the article interesting. I myself, after not touching a view camera for twenty years, or a piece of film for two years, just recently purchased a Wista field camera and have been retraining myself.

Brett

Thanks for the link, I too had not read the article before, but found it very interesting.

In many families there are members who are odd and abnoxious,ignorant and spiteful, and unfortunately we seem to have one here as well. Take no notice , and please keep posting.

Regards

Bruno

Jay - Not everyone on the Forum has either the time, or the interest, to read every thread and then to contribute a comment or three. Give these itinerant posters a break. They obviously aren't as smart as you, nor do they have the time you have to contribute. For those inept souls whom you choose to castigate, I have only one comment: "Illigitimus nom Carborundum." Please note the singular noun.

Everybody be nice to Jay and his tender, bloated ego!!!

You wouldn't want to push an unstable person over the edge, would you?? He might snap! Think of the 'Wanted' posters hanging on the wall at the police department:

"Wanted: Belligerent local dentist guilty of insulting the entire membership of the Wankfondlers Country Club in Florida.

Description: Short, fat, and balding. Red face emitting spittle. Last seen wearing an old but unused Billingham bag on his head, a Leica polo shirt, and much jewelry made in Solms.

Beware! He is armed with two pristine M7's, but don't worry, they have NEVER had any film in them and he is not considered dangerous."

For George B.,

This is not meant to be picky and I'm sure there was an inadvertent typo, like I make all the time, but I believe the quote is:

Illigitimus non (not nom) carborundum

meaning "Don't let the bastard grind you down" one of my favorites due in part because Carborundum used to one of the major electrochemical industries in my home town, Niagara Falls NY, home of the Love Canal. Not that I would ever refer to Jay as a bastard. He is a sanity check on this forum and as I have previously stated, if he didn't exist, we would have to invent him. He is a super source of information, and when asked politely, he provides valuable support. The Leica forum, IMHO, is the best of the forums because we encompass a complete spectrum of viewpoints, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Brett, I didn�t find the article to be a pile of rubbish. Also, I missed it in earlier posts and thank you for the reference.

When I got my D1x 30 months ago, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. My first prints were stunning. I thought film was dead and began selling off my film equipment. Fortunately I kept my darkroom, although it lay dark indeed for a couple of years.

Then I began to think about the probable lack of permanence of digital images as storage media, formats and software change over time. And realized we�ll probably end up with a lost generation of images through changes in technology.

So I went back to shooting film for my b&w, but using digital for color. I replaced the Leica I had sold, as well as my Zone VI 4x5 view camera (bought a Wista DX), and filled in with a MF, too.

I keep the Leica loaded with Delta 400, the 4x5 with T-Max 400, and the D1x with fresh battery charges and lots of CF cards. And choose the best camera for the image I want to make. Yesterday, I made fiber paper b&w prints for the first time in over 10 years. Had to dust off my print washer and dry mount press.

For me, digital and film are doing well side by side.

Thanks again.

<p>Reply to Jay's post:</p><p>1. Not all film cameras are either Leicas or

Leica wannabes.</p><p>2.

Companies such as EfKe already seem to do fairly well in what are

already niche

markets (127 film, for example), so it doesn't seem obvious to me that

<em>no</em> company would want to continue making 35mm film, at

least for the

lifetime of people reading that newspaper article.</p>

It's amazing how, other than a few esoteric facts about Leica mechanicals, Jay appears to know startling little about the film industry. Lastest PMA stats for England, released in January show that, in England alone 2 million film cameras were sold in 2003. As well, worldwide single use cameras sales were up 30%. Kodak recently opened knew plants in China, expecting to sell 60 million single use cameras (each loaded with 35mm film Jay-boy) a year. You really should get out more Jay!

>james kennedy Photo.net Patron, jan 26, 2004; 10:15 p.m.

Not that I would ever refer to Jay as a bastard. He is a sanity check on this forum and as I have previously stated, if he didn't exist, we would have to invent him.

Brilliant James...

"If God did not exist, we would have to create him" --Voltaire

"If god did exist, we would have to banish him" --Bakunin

"If Jay did not exist, someone would have to eat an immense amount of beans to generate a similar amount of bilious hot air" --Anonymous*

*Found scratched on the bathroom stall wall in the Wankfondlers country club.