Image Stablization for your medium format camera

beauh44

The Kenyon Gyro-stabilizer has been around for years. Before Canon's IS (and Nikon and Sigma's few and far between knock-offs) that was all there was. For a pro shooting from an airplane, helicopter or boat it was probably worth the cost (though most simply rented one for a particular shoot)and clumsiness. However for other types of shooting people just used a tripod. Image Stabilization makes more sense the larger the lens and the higher the magnification, such as telephoto lenses (there is simply no comparison between results from IS and non-IS even on a tripod, especially with teleconverters)which was never the forte of medium format. All the top names in wildlife photography use IS lenses.

I sure at some point in the future a digital back manufacture will add it. I imagine it will work something like the Konica Minolta anitshake technology. I imagine it will be 10 years before we see the technology in MF though.

I have one and quite like it. I placed a Hasseblad quick-release on it, and added a

quick-release plate to my Sony PD-150, and use it for both video and still images. The

most striking benefit I've gained was shooting a long video segment in an air-boat

moving down a river channel.

I'm not sure how image quality compares to IS in some of the 35mm lenses, I've

thought that this would make for an interesting test. Nevertheless, most of my usage

has been with shorter focal lengths which, were I using 35mm equipment, might not

have IS available (the Canon 70-210 appears to offer the shortest focal length with IS

that Canon offers).

The gyro adds a notable "floating feel" to the mounted equipment.

In my small sampling of Ken-Lab's customer service I have found them to be friendly

and helpful.