Heliopan hood

The one you want is a Heliopan 9802. (Courtesy of Mr. Nemeth's Leica FAQ - http://www.nemeng.com/leica/012ba.shtml)

Try here for a look:

http://www.wolfgangs-hobbyseiten.de/adapter-MBS_Text_/adapter-mbs_text_.html

Sorry, the text is in German.

I think it's the plain black tube with male filter threads. If that's right, it looks just like a Hoya hood I've got on my Canon 50/1.2.

Hope that helps.

What David said. It is essentially a matt black metal (Alu?) tube that with a 39mm thread, that doesn't flare at the end, such that you can use a 39mm lens cap on it. I use one and it is okay. It doesn?t obscure the viewfinder and does not seem to vignette at all.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. The "wolfgang" site appeared to show what I was looking for. Seems almost too deep for a 50.

I'm inclined to try the chrome hood for the e39 elmar, which the NY shops have at $50. Not too deep but large enough to keep my own fingers off the surface.

Appreciate your assistance.

Maybe I missed something, but doesn't it sort of defeat the purpose of a lenshood (ie., to shade the front element) if the the hood is cutout (vented) 360 degrees around. :-) Leicas hoods are only partially vented to allow better viewing of the scene.

>Eliot Rosen , jul 08, 2004; 06:55 p.m.

>Maybe I missed something,

Yeah, geometry in high school! :)

How much light is going to enter the lens from behind? Even if it does, it won't be reflected back into the lens.

• 2 years later...