8x10, I have read on the Toyo website that you can downsize from an

8x10 to a 4x5, but can you go the other way and is it worth it as

oppose to purchase an older wood camera, I already send an email to

Toyo but would like to see if somebody may have done this already,

and what their advice is.

Thanks

Hugh

Not the same thing.

Downsizing normally uses just an i.e.8x10-board with a 4x5 cut out as adaption.

Upsizing means to use at least a complete new rear frame.

Impossible with Fields, available for most Views (if the manufacturer also offers a 8x10 Version).

Very rare views known with rear mounting units for larger formats. I doubt, if any for 4x5 up to 8x10.

Sorry, the other (8x10) gg.Holder necessary in any way.

There is some Mfr that had extension back for their 4X5 but those go only to 5X7. Its unlikely the 4x5 ( field type ) can accomodate a 8x10 back/rear std. And the Bellow draw would not be enough in any case.

I do Landscape and Macro / Flora and speaking from experience. I would say go get one that is the biggest you would want and get the reducing back. You can get 4x5, 5x7, & 4x10 onto a 8x10. And you can put those roll film back onto the 5x7 or 4x5 ( say the 612, 617 format ). The few drawbacks are - you got a larget & heavier gear to lug around and the minimal bellow draw might not be short enough for some of the shorter focal length ( for landscape )

hugh -

with the toyo, you can buy a new rear standard & bellows and convert your 4x5 to an 8x10. from what i understand that is a pretty expensive thing to do, and it might be a little more cost effective to just purchase a whole 8x10 camera ( used ). :)

good luck!

-john

Hugh-

If you're seriously thinking about building your own, I'd recommend instead that you find an older wooden field camera to restore (unless you're really interested in woodworking). I took the "build your own" route with 4x5, and ended up getting bored with the project. I bought a 4x5, and when I decided to move up to 8x10 I found an old Korona Pictorial View with useless bellows. Making bellows is a lot less work than making a whole camera, and in the end is probably cheaper too.

Just my thoughts...

I did exactly what you suggest, picking up the various bits on eBay over time for what I thought were very reasonable prices (i.e., NOS bag bellows - $126; rear standard - $120; Rail clamp - $15). I also purchased a complete 810G last summer for just $400 (albeit in somewhat scruffy condition), so good deals on those can be found, too.

I've noticed that the prices of the wood cameras have come way down in the last year or so.

Partly for that reason, partly for their features, I'd recommend getting an Ansco in as good condition as possible mechanically. If it's a bit beat up, who cares, so long as it's mechanically sound.

The nice thing about them is that the extension rail is built in, and they're top of the line for a flatbed camera. For use, I much prefer them over the Burke and James. The controls are just more pleasant in the hands, and they lock down every bit as tightly as the B&J.

They have enough extension (and structural strength to go with it) for long extension work (like portraits or macro work) but also light enough to take in the field. And they won't beat the pants out of your wallet like a Deardorff or later field camera will.

And if name-dropping convinces you of anything, Edward Weston used one during his final years photographing. I've even seen footage of Ansel Adams shooting with one.

Get the one with front tilts. With that model you can also shim up the front standard and get front swings as well.

There, I said it. My two cents' worth. It's my opinion and you're entitled to it....

Good luck and have fun with whatever 8x10 you get. You'll fall in love with the negatives!

Hi,

What I did in the past was I purchased "two" Toyo 8x10's with different accessories, combined them, sold the 8x10 Rear Standard off the one to a guy like you, and ended up with a 4x5 using the two front standards, as well as a 8x10 complete with bag bellows, a 8x10 to 4x5 reducing back complete with ground glass and revolving back which I also used to complete my 4x5.. and all sorts of other accessories... .I don't have a case yet..

Toyo G cameras are going very cheap these days on E-Bay... Especially the 8x10's .. The best and cheapest thing to do is to just buy a used Toyo 8x10!.. You should try to buy a 8x10 with accessories as they are hard to come by and expensive when you do find them if purchased individually... . Look for a 8x10 with a Bettie interscreen... Try to get one with a case as well... It is imperitive you get one with a bellows in excellent conditon as its replacement will cost you about $350 for its replacement .... Used Toyo bellows are nortorious for pin holes in the bellows..... Expect to pay $750 to $1000.... A 300mm to 480mm lens would be nice as well..

Most8x10's that have sold on E-Bay in the past several months have gone under $750 with out lens.......... By buying the entire camera you have the options of selling the front standard which has been selling for $125 to $150... I would personally keep the entire camera though as you can use the now spare front standard as a coupler for coupling bellows for a extra long lens or ultra macro shots... Make sure you buy one with lots of insurance as I have recieved two cameras broken in shipment before the one I have now... Also make sure you buy from a reputable dealer that will hopefully offer money back if not described properly..

If you have any questions email me... johnjohnc@core.com