F3 camera strap

miha_steinb_cher

There's nothing wrong with the standard Nikon strap, but I prefer the OpTech straps because they have fat, stretchy neoprene for your shoulder. My Nikon EM has the standard Nikon strap (just gave that one to my son). My slightly heavier Nikon FM3A and N90s bodies have OpTech straps and honestly they're more comfortable.

Be well,

Unless Dad's fond of designer labels, I'd skip Nikon straps and go for either a Domke "Gripper" or a wide neoprene camera strap. I'd also look into a Zing neoprene case, too. They're a vast improvement over the old (n)ever-ready case and offer protection and camouflage.

Another vote for a Domke gripper. They were unavailable for about a year, but they're back on the market now. When I saw them at my local pro store, I immediately bought three black ones. Guy behind the counter said, "You're the third person today to buy multiple Domke straps, what's up with that?" I told him how they had been out of stock for so long, and there was a 'hunger' built up. It's nothing special, just a simple strap that does the job very well without calling attention to itself.

I use the Domke straps instead of the Nikon ones. Your father's neck and shoulders will thank you for using Domke's or Op-Tech. Either of these two are extremely comfortable and spread the weight of the camera over a large area.

The Nikon ones are either too narrow, and the wide ones scream NIKON in big yellow letters. If they want me to advertise their products, they should pay me.

Whatever you do, AVOID any strap that has METAL hardware. When I bought my F3, the first owner had put on a strap with metal gear. That reduced the new mint finish of a less than one year old camera to a bunch of scratches on the paint of the corners of the camera in no time. Not only that, when the camera was put away in the case, the hardware would knock against the camera back and chip paint away. I finally got so frustrated by the ugly appearance that I threw away the damn strap. After repainting the corners, replacing the back and bottom plate, the camera looks presentable again. Hey, it was only a little over $100 because someone had made a lousy choice of straps.<p>I use the Op-Tech straps because they're wide, grippy, and have nice plastic quick releases. When I'm working on a copy stand or on a tripod, sometimes I want the strap to be off the camera as it gets in the way. The quick releases help a lot here. Oh, the Op-Tech straps are also pretty cheap.<p>I had the Nikon strap once, but my wife looked at me and said "You're stupid if you want to walk around with a bright yellow strap that says 'Expensive Nikon -STEAL ME'". Needless to say, I've gotten rid of that strap.

I have always liked the Op-Tech, but when I needed another strap our local camera store only had a Promaster-labelled strap. I found this to be just as comfortable as the Op-Tech, and probably better built. It had all those little "nubbies" to keep the strap from sliding off of your shoulder and the Neoprene was covered with fabric. The price was comparable.

To everybody:

Thank you for your kind answers. I probably won't be able to get Domke as there are no distributors in continental Europe. A good generic strap without any metal parts would have to do. I'm not afraid of F3 being stolen from my father, but still better safe than sorry...

To Lee Hamiel:

Thank you very much for your kind offer, unfortunately it seems we live an ocean apart, so it'd be quite impractical.

Regards,

Miha

Op Tech strap, no doubt. Besides lessening the strain of lugging an F3HP with MD-4 motor drive and 70-210/2.8-4 Vivitar Series 1 zoom (a pretty heavy lens) around my aching neck, the very grippy strap will stay put on a shoulder as well.

Best of all, it has a quick detach/attach feature. Pop off the main part of the strap and only a couple of small straps with nylon buckles are left on the camera. Makes it easier to use the camera on a tripod, simply to carry in the hand or for storage.

The only downside is that those quick detach snaps may make the camera more vulnerable to snatch-and-grab theft. But even a solid neoprene strap probably wouldn't resist tearing if stretched hard enough. So, comfort over security.