At what stage should I use noise reduction software?

Hi - I use an EOS 300D and shoot in RAW. I have just downloaded the

free demo of NeatImage and am wondering when to use it. Is it ok to

to add USM, contrast and saturation in Capture One and then use

NeatImage on the final 'developed' pic?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Sam.

I have used Neat Image in conjunction with film scans and a few ISO 1600 shots from my Digital Rebel.

Typically I don't add USM until after I've done everything else, including Neat Image. Since I've started processing my RAW files in Capture One I've not used Neat Image on a processed C1 file, but I would probably turn off sharpening prior to developing the file, do the Neat Image thing and then add USM via Photoshop.

I only do that because everything I've ever seen regarding the digital process from people I would trust, such as the Luminous Landscape website, says sharpening should always be the very last thing you do, and USM is a type of sharpening.

Neat Image cleans up grain, but in images I've run through the process it also softens the file somewhat, so if you use USM first then run the file through Neat Image you'll destroy in part what you've just done.

"I would think USM and then Neat Image."

Grain/noise reduction software is to be used right after image capture. It does soften the image and also gives it that severe digital look. Then add some image capture sharpening, then all your image adjustment workflow and then add final sharpening.

Sharpening can be a one, two or three step process. For multi-step sharpening use either Photokit from PixelGenius.com or the free Photoshop action at http://www.thelightsright.com/DigitalDarkroom/PhotoshopTools.htm

HTH