Taking Film to a lab

dan_brittain

I just bought my first 4x5 and will hopefully take my first photos

this weekend. I will not have a darkroom set up until later this

year so I will have to rely on my local pro lab. I have used them

for 35mm and MF stuff so I am comfotable with them. My questions is

how should I take my negatives in the be processed? In the holder?

I only have two right now so that would limit me to only 4 pictures

an outing. I do not have an extra box right now and the lab didn't

have any extra. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Dan

Most labs will accept film holders, but you should check.

If you have some black, opaque paper, you should be able to wrap the negatives so the arrangment is light tight. The best thing to use would be the wrapping paper used for photo paper, but any opaque paper will do. Wrap it in three layers, with each layer covering the joints of the previous layer.

I bring in the holders, which works fine with two. I am going to buy another 2 holders so I have them for when the other two are in the lab. I don't have a problem taking only 4 pictures at a time because I am a cheep bastard and $40 for a day of photography is about all I am comfortable with ($5/sheet of film + $5/sheet processing). That is Canadian $ for E-6. I do have an extra film box that I could use if I go crazy and take lots of pictures but that hasn't happened so far.

For temporary film storage, you might check your local Home Depot or plumbing supply store. Get 1 1/2" black ABS drain pipe, and caps to fit. Cut the pipe (cuts easily with a handsaw or hacksaw, or the store will generally be happy to cut it for you for a small fee per cut -- use a $4 plastic miter box to get a good square cut) into 5 1/2" lengths. Deburr carefully with a sharp knife. You can, if you wish, glue one cap onto each piece of pipe (using the proper ABS chemical welding cement) but it isn't necessary; just press the cap on tightly. When you need to change film in the field, curl each sheet with the emulsion in, slip it into a tube, and put the second cap on tightly (in a changing bag, of course), then reload your holders as usual. When you open the bag, immediately put masking tape lengthwise over both caps (to prevent confusion or accidental opening) and mark the tape with the film type and exposure information, as well as whether you want any pull or push processing.

These temporary storage units will cost just over $3 each ($1.50 for each cap, and $4 or so for ten feet of pipe) and take about ten minutes each to cut, deburr, and assemble once you have the parts and tools in hand. They're light, if somewhat bulky, and in a pinch you could put more than one film in each (though you then run the risk of the corner of one sheet scratching the emulsion of the next). The caps are tight enough they won't come off accidentally (use tape anyway!), but will come off with a twist when you're ready to open the tube. And they should be obvious to your lab, but take an empty one for them to look at and practice on the first couple times.

You can also use the boxes that your film came in. Your lab may keep old boxes for this purpose and will likely give them to you to use when you give them film for processing. You can set up +, Normal, and - boxes and put your film in the appropriate box with instructions for processing taped or written on the box. Just remember to tape them shut to avoid any accidents.