seeking wireless solution to use with Canon 10D and Powerbook

Hello,

Can anyone suggest a good solution for wirelss transmitting images as I shoot to be

captured and displayed for critical inspection during the sessions?

I shoot hundreds if not more images during on set (Hollywood) shoots and want to insure

that all is well as i go.

Thanks

Lee McLaughlin

I think your options are:

1) Get a 1D Mk II and its wireless solution, said to be available real soon now (or switch systems to Nikon)

2) Tether your 10D to your powerbook, and shoot using remote capture software. Add another powerbook to provide a WiFi network to have someone else review the images.

3) Change CF cards frequently, and have your assistant run them over to your powerbook where they can be downloaded rather faster than with a WiFi solution anyway for critical review.

As far as I know, a "good solution" only exists for the Nikon D2H, a WiFi interface that bolts onto the bottom of the camera and lets it ftp pictures to any laptop, PC, or even PDA with a WiFi card or built in WiFi.

I can only suggest a "bad solution" for your 10D. There are WiFi cards that plug into a CF slot. They won't work, the camera has no idea what to do of you plug one in. The hardware is fine, but the software (WiFi card driver, ethernet protocol stack, ftp program) are not part of 10D.

The only way to get pictures from the 10D into something else as you shoot is by using Canon's "Remote Capture" program. There isn't a PDA version, so you need to run it from the smallest laptop you can find. I'm behind the times in "sub notebook" laptops, the Toshiba Liberetto was the last one I used. I've read about a Sony that is 7 inches wide, and weights just over a pound. You should be able to find something like it that you can wear on a belt pack. There will be a USB cable from laptop to camera. Run windows networking on the laptop, and let Canon Remote Capture store files on a desktop PC.

Lee - as an afterthought, do you really need to be wireless? Would a 60 foot "active" USB cable get you through your sessions?

Mark - your second solution sounds like what I proposed. Although the tethered laptop should be a PC, not a Mac. The smallest, lightest PowerBook is still a backpack. You can get PC laptops literally 1/3 the volume and weight of the Mac. Although they're not cheap. Actually, when you look at any solution requiring a laptop, switching from 10D to Nikon D2H is probably cheaper in the long run.

Beau - the Delkin device works by putting both cameras, iPods, etc. into file transfer or PTP mode. Unfortuantly, digital cameras are not capable of shooting pictures when in those modes. They just sit, basically inert, waiting for the PC to tell them what to do. It's a step in the right direction. If a small device were to emulate the remote capture protocol of several popular cameras, it could grap pictures as they were taken, then transfer them somewhere, via a wireless interface. Sort of a "universal" version of the Nikon WiFi pack for D2H. That gadget knows Nikon protocol, and has extra contacts to hook to a D2H to suck its operating power from the camera's batteries. If it knew protocols other than just Nikon, and had it's own battery, it would be just what you need.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I am new to the forum I have some questions.

I want to control the Shutter by wireless. The problem is not the wireless, units there are plenty around that are adaptable or one can design ones own remote.

The problem is at some point in time there needs to be a physical

Connection to the camera, ideally this should be via the N3 Female Connector, but this as we know is propriety to Canon and very expensive, in fact the only way to acquire one is to purchase an existing remote, or extension or remote

Converter made by canon.

I have a very good idea I think. I just want to establish control of the camera via the USB from a receiver actuated by a wireless transmitter. I am guessing somewhere in the wiring diagram of the Canon 10D there must be a couple of wires hardwired on two poles of the USB my question is which ones.

I am guessing that the Routines in the Basic Control supplied as the SDK will tell me, (will it?).

This would be far way cheaper than the N3 solution for a vanilla remote control.

Of course you can just buy a PDA and make and IR Transmitter/Receiver that will code and transmit the signals to the canon but that would be an expensive solution especially when all you would be limited to would be shutter and aperture control because the 10D cannot transmit real time information that would make preview the photo wirelessly attractive unless of course you will use a processor on both ends of transmission stream.

For this using two small Single Board Computers (SBC) like GUMSTIX with Blue Tooth (http://www.gumstix.com/) would to me be the way to go.

So am I making sense here?

I already own a TC-80N3 Timer Remote Control and a bunch of Polaroid former Spectra Remotes that I bought off eBay.

The Spectra Remotes looks like a very useful item to perform surgery on. Persons selling on eBay have already done a few Spectra conversations for various cameras including the N3 based Canons.

Useless pretend research information follows:

Canon ET-1000N3 Extension Cord for EOS-1V/1VHS, EOS-3, EOS-D2000, EOS-D30,

EOS-D60, EOS-1D, EOS-1Ds, EOS-10D

SKU #CAET1000N3

Mfr. Part #2440A001

Our Price: $69.95

Description

33 ft. extension cord for connecting the new EOS bodies with Timer Remote

Controller TC-80N3 or Remote Switch RS-80N3. For remote picture-taking

situations.

Canon RA-N3 REMOTE SWITCH ADAPTER

Description: Remote Switch Adapter RA-N3 This plug adapter enables

old-model, T3 Terminal-equipped accessories (such as Wireless Controller

LC-3) to be connected to the EOS-3's new remote control socket.

Adorama$42.95

Canon RS-80N3 Remote Switch for EOS-1V/1VHS, EOS-3, EOS-D2000, EOS-D30,

EOS-D60, EOS-1D-Mark II, EOS-1D, EOS-1Ds, EOS-10D

SKU #CARS80N3

Mfr. Part #2476A001

Our Price: $49.95

Description

Remote switch with an 2.6ft. /80cm cord to prevent camera shake for super

telephoto shots, macro photography, and bulb exposures. The Remote Switch

Works just like a shutter button, enabling halfway or complete pressing. It

also has a shutter- release lock. Its quick-lock plug connects to the N-3

type remote control socket on many EOS Bodies. Weight: 1.9 oz./53.8 g

Canon TC-80N3 Timer Remote Control for EOS-1V/1VHS, EOS-3, EOS-D2000,

EOS-D30, EOS-D60, EOS-1D, EOS-1Ds, EOS-10D, EOS-1D Mark II

SKU #CATC80N3

Mfr. Part #2477A002

Our Price: $129.95

Description

This is a remote switch with a 2.6ft cord and a self-timer, interval timer,

long-exposure timer, and exposure-count setting feature.

The timer can be set anywhere from 1 second to 99 hours, 59 min., 59 sec. A

new dial enables you to easily enter the numeric settings with a single

Thumb. The LCD panel can also be illuminated. It has the new N-3 type

connector, which locks with a simple push.

The rear of the Controller has a slot to store the camera's remote control

socket cap.

All the above referenced from:

http://www.adorama.com/

Canon Wireless Controller LC-4 (USA)

Dimensions Transmitter: 2.7 x 6.4 x .9" (69 x 163 x 22mm)

Receiver: 2.5 x 3 x 3.6" (64 x 75 x 93mm)

Weight (without batteries) Transmitter: 4.6 oz (130 g)

Receiver: 4.2 oz (120 g)

Lowest price: $319.95

Highest price: $518.96

http://www.priceleap.com/catalog/9/2716766

• 2 years later...

Lee,

one of the most effective ways to move images is by using a Canon EOS 20D connected to a canon ethernet module. The module is then connected to a linksys hub. Also connected to the Hub is my laptop, on the laptop I have an application called Bulletproof ftp which enables me to send ftp transfers to my laptop. Easy to setup also. The canon module also has the capability to use wireless as well, so if youe linksys has wireless, you should be able to do this. Hope this helps. The module should also work with the 10D.