Hand searching film...

jarrydbekker

I've had ISO 800 film x-rayed multiple times without any visible effect. ISO 100 and 200 won't have any problem. Actually I don't remember anybody saying that they had had any severe (or even visible) fogging that could be directly attributed to X-raying carry-on luggage. I don't travel enough to be able to run such a test myself (I only fly a few times a year).

I was being a bit facetious, if you care about critical quality for your film, have it hand-inspected (you'll be within your rights), but then you'll probably want to care about not being able to keep your film refrigerated, or to cosmic ray exposure while in the plane.

And, yes, if you want to have it inspected, by all means either carry factory-sealed bricks/boxes (if each roll is individually boxed and the boxes are sealed, there's a good chance that they won't want to open them), or carry the film in zip-locks, outside of its canisters (have the canisters x-rayed).

I went thru Bangkok airport back in April with about 20 rolls of a mixture of Provia 100F, Velvia 100F and Velvia 50, which were all in a plastic bag that I got from 7-11 (no plastic canisters). The attendants at security actually asked me if I want a hand inspection - twice - as my flight was delayed after I got to the boarding gate, so I went back out for a coffee.

800 and faster is generally considered the point where you should be avoiding the xray machines. in my experience jean-baptiste is right though, in that 800 is only the lower tip of the damage curve, and most of the time you won't notice any problems due to xray at that speed. that aside, i always have my rolls hand inspected, rather than take the time to presort them with a ringing hangover.

Agree about leaving them in bricks, though this is not foolproof -- I just did a wedding in Omaha (known terrorist destination) and the inspectors ripped open every box, opened each plastic container, etc.

Worth noting before you throw the whole thing in the fridge upon your return is that these folks don't necessarily close the plastic containers correctly.

Otoh, was in Egypt in March and they only glanced into my shopping bag with 120 rolls of film. The inspector looked at me and said: "You have any bullets in there?" Needless to say, I said no, and that was that.

Avoid all hassles: Leave the film in its original packaging and put it through the x-ray. Then relax, don't worry about it, and go take great pictures. Other factors, including cosmic rays and heat, are a bigger threat to film.

At least that's the official TSA party line. But if you have any worries about x-rays, or (understandably) would prefer not to expose your film to unnecessary ionizing radiation, there's only one way to avoid the risk of airport "security" harming your film (whether from x-rays or from the screener tearing it all apart if he or she lets you have a hand inspection). Buy your film at your destination, and either have it processed there or ship it to a reliable lab. If you have any unexposed film at the end of your trip, you can ship it home.

Actually, there are two ways. You can do the above, or else FedEx your film to your first destination. If you don't want to worry at all about the risk airport "security" poses to your camera equipment (including theft at checkpoints and zealous screeners damaging it during inspection) you can FedEx your entire camera kit along with the film, to and from your destination. I don't know what this costs, or what experiences other people have had with it, but if I were to fly for a photo trip I would certainly investigate FedExing everything so I can get through airport "security" with one less worry.

The absolute best way to avoid hassles and risks to film and cameras that airport "security" creates is to choose a destination that doesn't require flying. That option may not be feasible, and it has its own set of hassles. But it is something to consider.

<i>Should I remove all my film (40 rolls) from their plastic canisters and store them in transparent Zip-Lock bags for hand searching.</i>

<br><br>

No, you should remove all your film from their plastic canisters and store them in transparent Zip-Lock bags because they take up much less room and are much easier to carry and manage that way.

<br><br>

As for airport x-ray hysteria, the potential for damage, even for fast film, is very over-estimated (if not non-existent), in my experience. I've had 800 speed film go through machines multiple times without any sign of a problem. I never bother with the inconvenience and delay of asking for a hand-search.

<br><br>

Has anyone on this forum ever personally experienced film damage from airport carry-on x-rays? Even better, can anyone show us a scan of film damaged by airport carry-on x-rays? I've asked this before and never has anyone answered in the affirmative.

Jarryd,

this has been answered/asked a few hundred times. To be absolutely sure that nothing is amiss with your film and airport inspections, may I recommend that you pull out the whole film (in its entirety, full length, the whole 4 feet of each roll) in front of the security checker, so as to make sure there is nothing sinister in the cannister.

Of course your film will then be of no use for taking pictures any more. But everybody/thing will be ultimately safe from your films, except those who entangle their feet in your left-behind mess. I suggest you carry only 12 frame films. Less of a liability hassle for you.

Oh, the paranoia and lack of ability to "Search" around here. Sorry, Jarryd!

You can check the FAA web site, their standard operating procedure says anyone with film or photographic equipment can get a hand inspection, This is only for the U.S. I beleive. I haven't had any problems with my film going thru the carry on scanners. I don't travel with 800 film any more. I take new film out on a trip and any left over I use at home, and then start with new film for the next trip. You shouldn't have any problems.

• 2 months later...
No don't bother removing them from the can, box, or brick. During my trips, film that I expose I distribute between 4 pockets in pants (I wear cargo pants with the oversized leg pockets) and I never trip off the metal detectors but the unexposed film I ask for a hand inspection. Most of the time they tell it's safe to put through the X-Ray machine but I politely ask again. Sometimes they accommodate me and sometimes they don't but at least my exposed film I have managed to sneak through :) So far none of my slow film has been damaged by X-Ray machines but I still don't trust the Airport folks because I don't know if they have properly calibrated their X-ray machines or if it's functioning properly. Good luck and always put the film in clear zip lock bags.